C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB

I need a new set of plug wires and I've decided to stick with the braided wires for my #'s matching 69 BB. I can get dated wires from Lectric Limited for $100 or from gmpartsdirect.com (part #8912284) for $60.

Anybody know why I would spend $40 more dollars for the Lectric Limited wires? I called Lectric Limited and asked and all they could say was "ours are better". :confused:

I've searched the archives but haven't seen any discussion of the LL vs. GM wires.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:36 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (Ron_98vert)

Are you sure that GM is giving you dated wires? They maybe there giving you new replacement wires...I just sent back a fan belt to them. The new replacement alt. belt was the wrong size, it had the right part number on it, the supplier is making them the wrong size...
Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (mvftw)

Good point. Going back to the website I see they are not dated.

I've seen in the archives that people have used the GM part # 8912284 and they have worked, I just misunderstood the posts thinking they were dated wires.

I'd like to get dated wires, but unless the LL wires have some other benefit I'm not sure I'd spend $40 extra dollars just for the date. Any performance or quality differences between the two that might justify the extra $40?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the wires from Lectric Limited - I was quite happy with them. Nice instructions on which one goes where (for dummies like me).

GM
Old 03-11-2004, 11:55 AM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (mayberg)

Thanks for the response. I'm now leaning toward the LL wires. Looking through the archives it appears that there have been a number of poeple who have used them and liked them.

I guess I can assume they are working well on your vette based on your sig pic :D :D
Old 03-11-2004, 12:47 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of each. The GM "NOS" service replacements aren't dated. The overall quality and appearance is very close. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. I think I'll use the GM wires for now and save the dated wires if I ever decide to have the car judged.

I just ordered some parts from "GM Parts Direct". I found that they quote a very low cost for their parts but absolutely STAB you for shipping. I just bought some Q-jet parts that would all fit in a standard size letter envelope and payed nearly $20 for shipping. :eek: :eek: The Lectric Limited wires might look even more attractive if you consider GMPD's shipping costs.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:13 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I work for a company called Stapla Ultrasonics. We are a supplier of Ultrasonic splicing machines to Lectric. I know those guys are fanatical about having very high quality and correct appearances.

Not sure about the plug wires, but the wiring harnesses they produce are fabricated with our ultrasonic splicing equipment. I can promise you that splices made with our process are much stronger, have superior corrosion resistance and lower resistance than any solder or splice connection. The machine has built in quality monitors that tell the operator if a bad weld is made. The splice is a true weld so it won't corrode like a splice clip.

These guys are truly high tech and want to ensure the best quality harness. I know I would buy from them.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:22 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (wugak)

Thanks for your responses.

LL is currently offering free shipping on internet offers so combining that with gmpartdirect's high shipping costs the LL's are looking even better. I'm not getting a good feeling about gmpartsdirect so I think I'll go with LL.

The only problem now is that they are offering free shipping w/ online orders but their ordering web site isn't encrypted. Hard to believe there are still vendors doing business online who expect you to send credit card information in clear text!!!

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow and explaining why I don't want to order online but still expect the free shipping. We'll see what they say.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:37 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on calling them tomorrow and explaining why I don't want to order online but still expect the free shipping. We'll see what they say.
Sounds like a reasonable request to me. They're nice people. I bought from them at Bloomington. They didn't have the dates I wanted so they shipped to me the week after. They shipped the wrong wires at first but shipped me a second set immediately after I called. They arranged for pick up of the wrong set and told me to send them back when it was convenient for me. Despite the mistake, dealing with them was still a positive experience.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:18 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (LemansBlue68)

Thanks LemansBlue68 :cheers:

Spoke to them on Friday and they were more than happy to take my cc # over the phone and still give me the free shipping for internet orders. Should have the wires later this week.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:32 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I also have a set of each :) I first got the dated set from LL (might have ordered from ZIP, but they are LL's wires) because I wanted those cool looking "original" braided wires for my bigblock. Later I bought the AC Delco wires (might have got them from TLD.... can't remember) because I thought they would be better performing wires (not that I had any problems with the LL wires). They are SO CLOSE in appearance (the only difference is the dates) I wouldn't be surprised if LL is buying the AC Delco wires and stamping dates on them! Or maybe sourcing them from the same factory in India... :lol: Of course, now I am running a set of black Taylor wires, but didn't notice any change in performance. I hope to eventually have a set of wires for every day of the week! :lol: MJ
Old 03-14-2004, 11:26 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (MNJack)

I used the GM on a 67 and am very happy with them
Old 03-15-2004, 12:07 AM
R 73 454
Racer

Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (LT1driver)

The BIG difference is that LL has the CORRECT boots and lengths, rather than GM'S let's make "one size that fit's nothing" approach. The General's are a service replacement, which means just that! They'll work, but if you're going to have your engine bay scrutinized by judges and the like, spring for the LL's. One problem I had with the GM replacement set was the distributor terminals weren't very tight! :yesnod:
Old 03-15-2004, 12:27 AM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB (R 73 454)

Thanks everyone.

I'm feling pretty good about the LL decision. We'll see once I get them on the car!

I don't have any plans to get the car judged; the headers and sidepipes the previous owner added probably wouldn't go over real well with the judges :)

Having said that, I try to keep her as correct as possible just in case I ever get the urge to go the NCRS route.

Get notified of new replies

To Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB

Quick Reply: Lectric Limited vs. GM Braided Wires for '69 BB