C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum?

I'm cleaning up some metal parts that reside under the door panels. Until I get a sand blasting cabinet, I am forced to use a metal sanding brush that attaches to my drill. Does a pretty good job of getting surface rust off. Is painting the parts with rustoleum good enough, or do I need to prep with some type of primer first? My concern is not really cosmetic, it's about preventing further rusting of the original metal parts.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:28 AM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum? (Frankenvette)

I feel your pain on removing rust. I would use a primer first, it just makes a better surface for the paint to adhere too. I have used a POR-15 on just about everything metal and it does a great job. Not a salesman mind you but I am very pleased with the results I get and it is hard as a rock when dry. I feel it is a better paint for areas that are exposed to water than any of the spray can stuff. You might want to consider a phosphate metal prep that will convert remaining rust and provide a better surface for adhesion.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum? (Frankenvette)

Rustoleum is good stuff, no primer needed. Just paint it on the cleanest surface you can get. It's very bad to breathe, smells horrible and takes a few days to dry in a cooler climate. Do it outside or your house will smell bad and your wife will be mad for days. :yesnod:
Old 03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After wire brushing the surface rust treat it with phosphoric acid to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate and etch the metal. The Iron phosphate left behind will help prevent future rust. After you convert the rust and etch the metal prime it with a zinc rich primer, Plasti-kote makes a zinc rich primer that can be found at most auto parts stores. You can top coat it with any enamel paint, but rustoleum might be added insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum?

Quick Reply: best way to prep/paint rusty metal parts using rustoleum?