C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IM on T&T Telescope Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default IM on T&T Telescope Problem

I hate Instant Messages! When they drop out, I don't know of a way to get back with the author. I had a question on the telescope feature that wouldn't unlock. I lost the message this morning before I could answer.

Here is my answer.

The star screw pushes down on a rod that is inside the upper steering shaft. The rod presses against a wedge that ***** and locks the upper shaft from telescoping. You mention that you can unscrew the star screw but the shaft does not telescope. Remove the star screw and you should be able to extract the locking rod from inside the shaft with a small magnet.

Also, check if there is a small set screw down inside the upper shaft that might be pressing on the locking rod. Some repair procedures mention to install a set screw to lock the upper shaft in place when you are using the special tool to depress the lock plate and remove the C-clip. Sometimes Bubba leaves the set screw behind when he reassembles the T&T column.

You can see the locking rod #40 in the blowup pic at:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/redir.asp?site=607

Good luck,
Jim

[Modified by Jim Shea, 9:04 AM 3/10/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: IM on T&T Telescope Problem (Jim Shea)

Jim

is the wedge available anywhere? Bubba lost the one for my 74

Steve :steering:
Old 03-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: IM on T&T Telescope Problem (stpman)

I know that the wedge part number for the 1977 steering column is 7809977. I am quite sure that it is the same for all years (1969-82). It is still available through GM dealers.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:18 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

:thumbs:

Thanks Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 08:15 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Jim: Click on "My Profile" on the left menu. In there you will see a link that says "instant message history", which you click on. You can then see the IM's you received and reply.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: IM on T&T Telescope Problem (zwede)

Jim: Click on "My Profile" on the left menu. In there you will see a link that says "instant message history", which you click on. You can then see the IM's you received and reply.
When I saw your post it reminded me to check my profile for IM's. Sure enough there were two from two days ago and I didn't even know it. Why can't they sound off a siren or something when you receive one. :rolleyes: I can't remember to check for IM's every day. :conehead :hat :p:
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Jim-

I was the guy that IM'd you on the Tele question. Thanks for reacting back on the forum.

Actually, my problem was that I couldn't LOCK the shaft. It freely telescopes in and out without resistance even with the star screw and locking ring engaged correctly. I suspect I don't have the small rod that fits down inside the shaft. If I read you right, the bottom of the star screw pushes down on the rod as you rotate the lock ring. All I see under the star screw right now is a hole. The rod must be missing.

Can that just be fabricated from a small piece of rod stock to the right length or is it otherwise something special? Also, is the wedge you mention visible from the top ... or is that what I actually see as the "bottom" of the hole? It's not obvious to me whether I'm also missing that as well.

Bubba actually cut off some length of the star screw - it has a obvious hack saw marks. Perhaps I'm just better off picking up a new screw and lock shaft so the lengths match up.... dunno.

Thanks also for the pic.

- Mark

:seeya
Old 03-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: IM on T&T Telescope Problem (Skipple)

Mark,
You have eMail with part numbers and prices.
The wedge is still available from GM.
DocRebuild websight shows the locking rod and the star screw.
Rik's Unlimited also has the star screw in their online catalogue.
Jim

[Modified by Jim Shea, 11:30 PM 3/10/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To IM on T&T Telescope Problem

Quick Reply: IM on T&T Telescope Problem