C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door hing pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 PM
KNicholas2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hing pins

The driver door on my "77 coupe "droops"and there is some play in the door hinges. What is the best way to fix this? Can I put a bushing in the hinge and a new pin? or am I looking at a whole new hinge set?

Kim Nicholas
Seattle
Old 03-09-2004, 02:47 PM
73 Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Door hing pins (KNicholas2)

You can purchase pins and bushings from several of the aftermarket outfits. Use caution when replacing. There were some comments on this a short time ago. One I'm going to try, is cutting the head off the top ones and driving them down, then put the new ones in upside down with a pre-drilled hole for a cotter pin.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:30 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Door hing pins (73 Vet)

I had no problems driving my door pins out from the bottom and replacing them by tapping them in from the top. Be careful with the top pin because the head comes close to where the door skin curves around. The bushings are easy to replace. I did both doors with a friend to hold the door in under an hour. Use a pin punch to drive the pins out.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:23 PM
First79vette
Advanced

Default Re: Door hing pins (LemansBlue68)

I just went to a body shop on a Sat. morning helped them out too. He cut the top one head off and drove it down :yesnod: He had the pins and bushings on hand. Cost me 20$ not bad :jester
Old 03-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Freepop
Pro

Default Re: Door hing pins (First79vette)

Lamans68, on my 74 there is no way you can do the top pin down thru the bushings.

Guys, before you drill for the cotter pin, make sure to put a couple of small flats on the pin with the grinder as the pins are case hardened and won't like a drill until you grind the hardened part off.

[Modified by Freepop, 10:10 AM 3/10/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 11:18 PM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Door hing pins (KNicholas2)

First79Vette, I didn't know you could get anything done to a Vette for $20. That's great. KNicholas2, I replaced pins and bushings on my 78, both doors. Had to grind off part of the flange from the top pins in order to get past the body skin. Once past the skin, just drive it home with a longer pin etc. Replacing both pins and bushing makes a huge difference, well worth the effort. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Door hing pins

Quick Reply: Door hing pins