C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
19vette79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving.

On the way to work this morning I was rolling down the passenger window to have a smoke, and I heard a weird spinning sound, but paid no mind. While putting it back up, I heard the same thing. I never looked at the window because I was going 75 on a very busy freeway, but assumed it was rolling up and down. Once I got to the office, I went to crack the window so the car doesn't become an oven, and saw that it was not moving. I can hear the motor running, but no movement from the glass. I can see the battery meter drop a little when I hit the switch, so the power is getting there. When I put a little pressure on the top of the glass, it didn't move down. Ideas?

Dave
Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving. (19vette79)

The motor gear probably came loose on the shaft. Whatever it is, you need to tear the door apart. It's actually very easy getting the glass, regulator and motor out of the C3 door, and all parts are available.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 AM
johns73
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving. (19vette79)

I have the same problem it's the gear part of the regualtor that has worn out. Most parts suppliers sell replacement gears. This is a project after i get my body back on the frame. :flag
Old 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
19vette79
Advanced

Default Re: Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving. (johns73)

So this is something I can personally do? Is it a good idea to assume that it is what you both have described and pick up the part on the way home? Exactly what is the name of the part I should be searching for?
As a side note- that window never has been flush with the window seal on the t-top. When it's fully rolled up, I can still get my finger between the seal and the glass. I know I need new rubber, but I don't know if the window mechanism or rubber is the cause here.

[Modified by 19vette79, 9:10 AM 3/9/2004]
Old 03-09-2004, 09:42 PM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

The part they are talking about replacing is the gear on the window lift (regulater). You can buy a stainless steel gear that bolts on to the old one. I had to do this, and they cost about $45.00 a few years back. I think some of the vendors sell complete lift assemblies now. The motors and gears should be inspected before you buy any parts. Hope this helps. :conehead

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving.

Quick Reply: Passenger-side power window motor spinning, window not moving.