C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hazard lights and brakes problem

Old 03-09-2004, 10:28 AM
JScott81
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard lights and brakes problem

I just bought my first vette! :party: It is a silver '81 with red leather. I am going to slowly go through the car from nose to tail and tighten everything up to make it a solid and dependable daily driver. I am brand new to this forum and would like to thank all of you in advance for your help along the way. I won't bombard the board with questions and will search archives as well.

The first puzzler I have incountered is this. When I turn on the flashers nothing happens until I apply the brakes. When the brakes are applied all of the running lights come on and stay on without flashing until I let off the pedal. When the flashers are off the brake lights and running lights both function normally. Something is obviously crossed but I can't seem to find it. I thought the flasher relay might be bad but that would either make the lights come on without flashing or not come on at all (I think). Anyway, any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:41 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Hazard lights and brakes problem (JScott81)

Welcome to the forum. First word of advise, get an assembly manual for your year. They are available from most vendors and have wiring diagrams. You will need the diagrams to track the problem. When you say "all of the running lights come on" are you saying the front and rear or just the rear?

Here's a link to one here
http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum...y-manuals.html

[Modified by 72GACRZR, 12:42 PM 3/9/2004]
Old 03-09-2004, 12:45 PM
68raggtop
Racer

First off, welcome :thumbs:
Check for a poor ground first, the turn signal sounds like it is grounding back through the brake lights. :seeya
Old 03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
JScott81
Cruising

Thanks for the warm welcom. I will check the ground situation. I was lucky enough to get an assembly manual and Hanes book with the car and picked up an official GM shop manual on ebay so I should be armed with what I need to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks for the replys.

Get notified of new replies

To Hazard lights and brakes problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hazard lights and brakes problem