C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Windows....broke help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Power Windows....broke help!

hey all,

first my one window crapped out and then the other one! :mad

It almost feels like the switch went out. Any suggestions? I know there are a number of things it could be.

CC

71 LS-5, ORANGE!
Old 03-09-2004, 12:55 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Power Windows....broke help! (carbster09)

There are lots in the archives Here's one to get you started
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=533183

It could be switches, ground, relay, circuit breaker, or shorted wires, or etc.

Hope you have a wireing diagram, good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:31 PM
kwg
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just fixed this exact problem in my car. Turns out that the switches were bad. If you've already checked your fuses - and check them all, because you never know what the window circuit might be tied to, such as the tail lamps - then you might try what I did. Try pulling the door panels off and unplugging the wiring harness from each motor. Run a power lead from your battery to one of the terminals on the motor (motor is grounded by its frame to the regulator, so no need for a ground wire, at least on my 79). If the motors are good, then the windows will go up or down depending on which motor terminal you hit with the wire. If you can eliminate the motors as the problem, then you can check for power with a test light at the wiring harnesses right before each switch. if there's power going to them, but the windows aren't working, then it's likely that your switches are bad. If there's no power, then it's probably trouble with the wiring or with the relay. My guess is that it's the switches. I'm far from an expert, but I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:32 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,477 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Be aware too, that if one power connector to the door is loose or off that the other won't work either.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Power Windows....broke help! (gliot1)

Be aware too, that if one power connector to the door is loose or off that the other won't work either.
Sorry man, don't know what you may have thought you seen or something, but that statement is incorrect....

the ignition circuit through a fuse controlls the power window relay, and that is only on when the ignition is on.....so therefore if that circuit has a problem in that relay....system dead....the relay controlls the main power to the two switches, which then transferr power to the motors....they apply power to two differant wires, one is up and the other down....reverse the two leads and the action is the same but the switch is 'backwards'....the ground is through the door hinges....and the metal frame of the door, obviously....

the hardest thing is the sector gear riding on the motor gear mechanism...they tend to rust out, and therefore are a mess....

so taking apart the door liner and inspection cover is a must to be able to start from there, the fact on one dieing then the other, tells me is may be mechanical......listen for motor operation and grinding noises....

if not, it's electrical of some sort....and well may be the switches....

those switches are a common enough item at parts houses...nothing great...

the motors may possibley be bad too, probably from working against lack of grease and putting too much strain on things....

in that case the entire window mechanisms need taken apart, completely degreased, and reassembled with the ONLY grease in the motor/gear housing assy, and NOT on the window tracks....why in hell GM ever white lubed them I will never figger out.....alls it does is dry out and cause problems with turning to a thick goo that works the motors harder and eventually locks up the mechanism....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Power Windows....broke help!

Quick Reply: Power Windows....broke help!