C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:16 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel?

I could really use any and all ideas about the cause, severity, and prognosis of a strange noise I am having with my car. As background, I had the flywheel resurfaced, installed a new OEM style clutch, new release bearing, new ball stud, and new clutch fork.

I've put about maybe 40 miles on the new OEM style replacement clutch so far. When "slipping" the clutch as I pull away from a dead stop, there is a whirring kind of friction noise. It's not metallic sounding, and it isn't a typical howl of a bad release bearing. It only seems to occur when the clutch disk is slipping during take-off. The clutch releases properly, smoothly, and makes no noise in any other scenarios. So far, my thought has been that it's a combination of the new disc and the resurfaced flywheel having to mate together. Does this sound like a possible explanation?

The sound does seem to be getting better, and the clutch is getting smoother the more I drive the car. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by driving the car with this occurring. Anyone got advice/opinion on this?

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 03-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel? (sb69coupe)

Did you replace the pilot bushing/bearing in the end of the crankshaft? Once the clutch is fully engaged, there is no speed differential between the trans input shaft and the crankshaft. I a pilot bushing is worn, it will cause noise and/or chatter during engagement, but not after lock up.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:48 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel? (Steve's74)

It's a new bronze pilot bushing as well. There is no vibration or chatter, just the whirring or whizzing noise.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:29 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel? (sb69coupe)

I could really use any and all ideas about the cause, severity, and prognosis of a strange noise I am having with my car. As background, I had the flywheel resurfaced, installed a new OEM style clutch, new release bearing, new ball stud, and new clutch fork.

I've put about maybe 40 miles on the new OEM style replacement clutch so far. When "slipping" the clutch as I pull away from a dead stop, there is a whirring kind of friction noise. It's not metallic sounding, and it isn't a typical howl of a bad release bearing. It only seems to occur when the clutch disk is slipping during take-off. The clutch releases properly, smoothly, and makes no noise in any other scenarios. So far, my thought has been that it's a combination of the new disc and the resurfaced flywheel having to mate together. Does this sound like a possible explanation?

The sound does seem to be getting better, and the clutch is getting smoother the more I drive the car. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging anything by driving the car with this occurring. Anyone got advice/opinion on this?

Thanks,
Shannon
Sounds like things are fine - normal noises for new everything. It will take a little while to get all the surfaces "polished" to match each other, but after that, you won't hear it anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel?

Quick Reply: noise from new clutch and resurfaced flywheel?