C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One year in France?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One year in France?

I may have the chance to go overseas for a year with my family. As I will be allowed to ship one car with me, I am contemplating taking my Corvette. What am I facing as far as being allowed to drive it in Europe? I would be living in France and on military assignment there. What about the market for selling it there when I am about to return home? Can I get alot more for it overseas? I would only sell if I could bank enough money in the deal to come home and buy an even more desireable 'Vette - say a 1971 LS-6 car! In other words, it would have to sell for far more than it is worth here in the States. Have any of you done this? What legal/business considerations can you offer me?

Semper Fi!
Old 03-08-2004, 04:00 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: One year in France? (djcwardog)

There's some European guys here that would know.

Whatever you can do to drive through Europe in the cockpit of a C3 would be a memory to treasure ! :cheers:
Old 03-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Willis
Instructor

I did live in France for two years and I saw a total of two C3s, one C4 and two C5s. I can tell you this, you will get stared at wherever you go. As far as selling it I think that you could get what you wanted out of it. French people are crazy about vettes. I used to get the coolest reactions when I showed them the picture of my 81.

Several cautions: Gas is about $4.00 a gallon, french people use bumpers when parking, roads are very narrow and parking is hard to find. If you know that you will have a garage, can afford the gas, and can afford several trips to the body shop, then I say go for it. The autoroutes (freeways) aren't free, but they are better maintained and a blast to drive fast on. The speed limit is usually 130 klics which is around 80 mph, but you better be in the slow lane if you are going that speed.

Where in France will you be living? I lived in Carcassonne, Bordeaux, Manosque, Agen, and Toulouse. All in the South. Very beautiful country.
I plan on taking my car over there sometime for an extended vacation. Let us know how it goes if you do take it!!!

[Modified by Willis, 9:16 PM 3/8/2004]
Old 03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: One year in France? (Willis)

I hope the American $$$ increases vs. the Euro by the time you are ready to sell. Right now $1 Euro only gets 76 cents on the US dollar. The exchange rates are at an all time low. It used to be the other way around. Something to consider if you ever do decide to sell.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Willis
Instructor

Default Re: One year in France? (luvmy82)

I hope the American $$$ increases vs. the Euro by the time you are ready to sell. Right now $1 Euro only gets 76 cents on the US dollar. The exchange rates are at an all time low. It used to be the other way around. Something to consider if you ever do decide to sell.
I think you may have that backwards. The Euro is worth more than the dollar so it would take 1 U.S. dollar to get .76 Euro cents. Meaning that if you sell it for 10,000 euros over there that will convert to more than 10,000 U.S.

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2004.03.08 21:20:57 GMT.
10,000.00 EUR = 12,405.13 USD
United States Dollars
1 EUR = 1.24051 USD 1 USD = 0.806118 EUR
NEW! Do your foreign exchange on-line with XE.com's XEtrade. BEST RATES guaranteed.

Another Conversion? | Bookmark Us
Free Rates by E-Mail | Tell a Friend | Put This on Your Site for Free!
"Universal Currency Converter", "XE", "XE.COM", and the spinning currency logo are trade marks of XE Corporation

[Modified by Willis, 9:23 PM 3/8/2004]

[Modified by Willis, 9:24 PM 3/8/2004]
Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You might be better off to leave the Vette at home and purchase a Mercedes in Europe. I believe as a military person you can purchase that tax free and bring it back customs exempt after one year. Sell the Mercedes and Vette in the USA and get whatever you wish.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:25 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: One year in France? (paul67)

Regardless, if you should go to France, can you pee on the Eiffel Tower for me?

While singing the Star Spangled Banner?

Thanks.

:flag
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: One year in France? (joeveto)

I lived overseas for a total of 11 years and I am going back! :confused:

OK I will NOT be taking my vette. They are NOT worth more money. In fact if I find a nice one I will be bringing it back here. You have to add stupid little lights in some places to pass the local laws. No parts and no buddies...its not worth it. However there is a BIG mustang club in Paris I believe. Make sure that you go to Retromobile in Paris. Its a once a year old car, old boat show. Its the best there is....! I almost boiught a 100% orginal 69 black GT 350, 351 cid, 4 spd with 50,000 miles... a few years ago for ~ $ 12,000. Great deal, but i HATE fords...even shelbys.

Buy an M3 and goto the N-Ring in germany and race about the track. Have the time of your life and come back with great memories. Also goto the Italian GP, the one at Spa, Belgium if its on and the Goodwood festival of speed, its AWESOME! Oh and LeMans as your in froggie land.

Enjoy... :cool:
Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

One other thing...Go to Harry's bar in Paris. There's a Jazz club. Harry, an American opened up the first cocktail bar in Europe there ~ 1910. His grandson is still there behind the bar I think. Its cool and there's very few tourists and fewer yanks. Mostly locals. Its cool, but hard to find. Its near the Opera house, ask a taxi. Our doughboys used to drink there....

history is cool :cool: :cheers:
Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: One year in France? (carbster09)

I live about a 2 hour drive from Paris.
Let me warn you gas prices are extremely high here around 4$ a galon.
The french do use the bumber when parking. Even puching other cars to be able to fit in theyr space...
And depending on where you will live the weather is not that great( lots of rain)... but again depends on where you will be.
And make sure you have a good insurance because they drive European style :D

Old 03-09-2004, 09:18 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: One year in France? (joeveto)

[QUOTE]Regardless, if you should go to France, can you pee on the Eiffel Tower for me?

While singing the Star Spangled Banner?

Thanks.
:iagree: ,,,,,,,,,,,,peace,,,,,,,,,,,,Craig :seeya
Old 03-09-2004, 09:52 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Guys,

As I had hoped, you have some good insight for me. Perhaps the 'Vette will be better off at my father-in-law's farm where it can be driven once in awhile, but otherwise not be damaged. If our old cars are not selling at a premium price over there, then the incentive seems to be to buy a new BMW or Mercedes and bring it home tax-free! I'll have to check that out! I will certainly check out Carbster's recommendations for places to visit (and drive). Thanks again!

djcwardog
Old 03-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Willis
Instructor

Be careful about getting any ideas of bringing home a Mercedes or Beemer. The models over there are not the same as the models over here, (cloth seats, crank windows, less sound insulation, smaller and diesel engines available) You can get the nice luxury models, but you'll pay just as much as you would over here. Also, ever try registering a grey market car? You better check into what it's going to take to get the safety/emissions tests and registration.

As far as beautiful drives, you MUST head south. Along the coast of the Mediterranean sea and then up the Alps. GORGEOUS!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

The fly in the BMW/Mercedes ointment is that the vehicle will have to meet US bumper/safety and emissions standards before registration. Historically European standards were lower but with globalisation of the automotive industry that may have changed. You may wish to check on that as well.

On driving in France and in Paris in particular, I rented a car during a vacation there and returned it after two days. My nerves were shot. Parisians do park by feel and signal with the horn and finger gestures.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:39 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am currently in Germany for three years. My 74 is in storage for the duration. I would love to have it over here but its just not worth the hassel. First, you know they will scratch the heck out of it while they are shipping it. Yea, they will pay for it but not what it is really worth. Second, The price of gas is outrageous. We get it half price for what the Germans pay but still expensive. Here in Germany it would have to pass inspection. Mine would be no where close. Spare parts and a place to fix it would be a pain. Biggest of all, driving on the autobahn is fun but if your brakes are the least bit weak, you will wreck your car. We have a 2002 SUV and the brakes are not very good for over here.

You are probably like me and would take it up to 130-140 to se what it can do. Lets face it, US cars are not made to go that fast for that long. Good bye engine.

I think no matter how much fun it would be best to leave it at home and see her when you get home.

Have fun and travel a lot. Its great here.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Default Re: One year in France? (scottw)

Prior to moving back to the USA I looked at buying a car overseas. I was last living in the UK. Firstly you have NO grey market issues IF you do things the RIGHT way. OK, do NOT buy locally, i.e. a Euro spec car. Several makers, BMW, M-Benz, Volvo and Saab do special deals for Americans going back to the USA. These are tax free. With BMW you order the car and at that time you needed to take delivery in Europe, then drive for a short period give back to BMW and they ship to the USA. Volvo and Saab are better still. You place your order and take delivery in the USA, once again tax free. I could have gotten a new Saab 9-3 Turbo for 20,000 USD! But the wife wanted a Volvo S-60 T-5 manual for $30,000. Then we argued about BM's, she wanted a 5 series ....to much $ and I wanted a 330ci coupe. So we did not get anything! Big mistake as I moved to Texas and spent $22,000 on a f*&king honda accord :mad

BMW was only going to save me ~ 10%, not a good deal for the work and MB was not a good deal either. However being miltary there are special good deals.

One other place to go.... the D-Day beaches. My grandfather hit the beach and I got a picture of where he came ashore! Go see where the Rangers scaled the cliffs too. Neat stuff.

Good luck

carbster09
Old 03-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

That point re a grey market car is very important. Thanks for making it. I should have done so earlier more explicitly although I alluded to it. The USA conversion costs can be very expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To One year in France?

Quick Reply: One year in France?