C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 08:38 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!!

Today i decided to go down to the garage and roll it around the block since its been sitting for the past two months (i know i shouldve placed it on bricks, and turned the wheels every now and then but i didnt......) so we roll it out and i notice the front tires, especially the left are GROSSLY out of aligment, for some odd reason they have insane negative camber and seem to point in, we were thinkin that rolling it around might bring it back but that didnt seem to work... Does anyone know what could've caused this or how to fix it????? :cry :confused:
Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (killervette666)

Did your a-arm bushings give up the ghost? :smash:
Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (page62)

Check your frame, I had the same thing and we noticed the frame at the A arms broke.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (killervette666)

Whoa ! :eek: ....something has definitely shifted.

Check everything around the A-arms.....bushings, shafts, coils, missing shims. ;)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (verskel)

hmmm I think the same thing has happened to my car!!

I hope nothing broke, I can't afford any more major repairs.

~Jay
Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Not to overstate the obvious, but there is something seriously out of whack. That's not normal. I always store my cars on the tires, as is. And knock on wood, they steer and drive as normal.

I hope it's not too serious.

Old 03-09-2004, 07:56 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (joeveto)

Could this be because we took off a LOT of stuff, such as front body clip, fender skirts, bumper assembly, etc. that the spring is not being pushed down enough to keep the wheels centered?????
Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
killervette666
Drifting

PLEASE ANYONE?????? :confused:
Old 03-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

my guess is same as page62 - your control arm (A-arm) bushings have worn out. My car did the exact same thing. I was trying to align it out with my grandfather, and we'd align it on the driveway, go drive it, and when we got back the alignment would be completely, DRASTICALLY off. Replace your bushings! Made a world of difference on mine. It's amazing how much more fun it is to drive in a straight line (at least, when you WANT to).

Ben
Old 03-10-2004, 07:57 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (Ben's75)

How do you replace them? Was it difficult? Ill have to check it out because the previous owner rebuilt the whole front end only a year ago, but i guess that could've happend. Thanks for the response, i appreciate it :thumbs:
Old 03-10-2004, 08:06 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have to take apart the front wheel spindle and release the spring to get the a-arms off to replace the busyhings. Its what im looking at doing here in the near future. My alighment is off quite a bit. if you look at the front of the car it looks like /-\ Not that drastic of an angle , but you get the point. Plus it wanders quite a bit on the roads. Also the inside of the tire wears out WAY before the outside. :cheers:
Old 03-11-2004, 10:28 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (flood)

thanks for the info, my tires are opposite though, they're \ /....... Going to go down to the garage on saturday and check out what happend :leaving:
Old 03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,918 Likes on 1,929 Posts

killer -
You don't have a problem. If you have removed the front clip and pulled a bunch of weight off the front end, the camber will go way out of whack. Put all the weight back on the front and roll the car back and forth. Only with the full weight of all the components on the front end can you determine if you have an alignment problem.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:08 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!! (lars)

Thats what i was thinking, because the forntend was freshly rebuilt less than a year ago, but i wont be able to put all the weight back on for a little while more, since we need to wait till we get the body clip, bumper, etc..... If we drive a couple of miles to a bodyshop close by the garage will any damage occur?
Thanks for the reply guys :thumbs:
Old 03-12-2004, 08:13 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

have a couple people stand on part of the frame up front. if it goes normal, you know thats the culprit :D :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My front wheels are WAY out of aligment, please help!!!!!!!