C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUTUPPER BALL JOINT BOOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUT UPPER BALL JOINT BOOT

Vetters,
I am putting my ball joints back in the uppers. Question, the rubber boot that covers the ball joint. Does it fit over the ball joint first then put the ball joint with boot attached in the hole and bolt it down? This is the way I have it now. I have not tighten it down though. The boot creates a space between the top of the control arm and were it bolts in. I assume if this is correct thenn when I torque it down it will mash the rubber down.

Anyone know what the torque settings are for the 3 attaching bolts?

While were at it. Lower ball joint is held by 2 nut and bolts on the sides. In the package I received the bolts are different. 1 looks like a regular nut and bolt and the other has a funky kind of head on it. Question....does it matter which one goes on which side? Does the bolt with the funky head go on the inside or the outside of the control arm?

Randy

[Modified by Randy 71, 3:42 PM 3/7/2004]

[Modified by Randy 71, 6:45 PM 3/7/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 07:41 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUT UPPER BALL JOINT BOOT (Randy 71)

That's not right, boot goes on later. It should be a metal to metal contact.

Good luck,
Chris :cheers:
Old 03-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUT UPPER BALL JOINT BOOT (RUXperienced)

The upper sounds right from your description, the 3 nuts and bolts are provided b/c the originals were riveted in. I just torqued mine to 60 ft lbs. As for the lowers and the funky bolts the one with the big head on it goes forward as it is the front steering stop. Hope this helps man.. Dave..
Old 03-07-2004, 08:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUT UPPER BALL JOINT BOOT (RUXperienced)

:iagree:

For the lower the funny bolt goes towards the front of the car and this head goes to the outside, It is another steering stop. At the back of the lower A arm you have a welded on steering stop.
This bolt head is your front steering stop.
You can see it at the top of this picture
Double click to enlarge
Old 03-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUT UPPER BALL JOINT BOOT (norvalwilhelm)

Thanks to all of you. I have got it all properly set up now.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUTUPPER BALL JOINT BOOT

Quick Reply: NEED HELP....IN THE GARAGE NOW....QUESTION ABOUTUPPER BALL JOINT BOOT