C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with crate motor identification...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 10:44 PM
nicecurves79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with crate motor identification...

ive been doing a little reasearch on engine casting numbers and found that mine does not seem to be the original engine. the block casting number is not where it should be, but i am still looking, but in the meantime can anyone use the head casting number:3998993 (seems to be GM crate motor made in mexico) or the engine ID code: MJ23800 to figure out which GM crate motor i may have? maybe some hp/tq #'s? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: need help with crate motor identification... (nicecurves79)

Yeah, it's probably the standard $1300 crate engine from GM. It isn't very powerful, but it is a good platform to build up! Chevy Hi-Performance had a great series of articles on pumping it up inexpensively! It is the basis of the GM 350-HO 330hp which is basically the same engine with Vortec Heads on it.
Here's a link to the first of the series of articles that they did on building one of these into a screamer!
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/46320/

Old 03-07-2004, 11:11 AM
nicecurves79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found the engine casting number:3970010. it definately is a crate engine, now i just need to figure out which GM crate engine it is. hopefully it is not the base model. it has the L-82 valve covers on it, but the numbers dont match, ignorance was bliss... :banghead:

P.S. thanks for the link smokehouse69. lots of good info there!

[Modified by nicecurves79, 4:13 PM 3/7/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Don't fret too much about which engine you have, even the base crate engine is a good starting point to a nice performance engine. You've got a great advantage over most of the rest of us C-3 owners, you live near Lars!! If you don't know Lars, then check with the Denver area Corvette crew, and get to know him. He's a great guy and a wonderful resource for Corvette owners, he's helped many, many owners here on the forum with all sorts of tuning and performance projects.
Good luck with your car, the 79 is my second favorite year model. :D

Get notified of new replies

To need help with crate motor identification...

Quick Reply: need help with crate motor identification...