C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 06:32 PM
vette69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper rebuild

I need to replace the seals in my rear calipers, and am wondering if it is easier to split the two halves, or leave them together. It seems like it would be much easier to remove the two bolts and seperate the two halves, but not having any pictures or manuals that show that, I don't want to seperate them only to find out I shouldn't have.

Is there an easy way to remove the seals?

Anybody out there do this?

TIA
Brad
Old 03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Caliper rebuild (vette69)

The halves will separate ok.

The torque for them is 60 ft/lbs, not the 130 that the 72 GM manual states. 130 is for the fronts.

There are small o rings in between the halves to seal them.Be sure to replace them too. The piston seals should come out and the pistons and lip seals too. Check the pistons for any heavy corrosion. If you have ss lined calipers you can replace the seals,but if you still have the stock cast bores then get ss lined calipers.
You also have to have the rotor runout under .003" or else they're going to give you bleeding problems. When re-assembling them use a littel black RTV around the boot edges to seal them.
Gary
Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 PM
vette69
Instructor

Default Re: Caliper rebuild (gtr1999)

I have ss sleeves. They only have maybe 2000 miles on them, but when I just pulled them the other day, one side was drenched in fluid, so I will need to replace the pads as well. Where on the boot does the black RTV go?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:32 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Im having a problem with my calipers leaking also if the car sits for a few months with not being driven. I already replaced all the seals once, had to do the fronts over again. If it leaks again i am going to spend the money and get the o ring conversion kit. That will stop em from leaking. http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=830
Old 03-06-2004, 10:42 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Where on the boot does the black RTV go?
No RTV required. I suggest replacing with an aftermarket o-ring piston setup unless you like doing the same repair year after year.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:52 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I use a littel RTV on the edge of the piston boot and around the seam at the housing. If I recall correctly there was a GM bullitin late in the C3 production about this. I'm sure that someone here will remember.

If you have new calipers why are they leaking? Bad seals,poor sleeve installation or runout in the rotor?

I have never used the O-ring caliper pistons. If you have runout and don't correct it then they might be ok.

I prefer to setup the brake system they way they came from GM. Properly setup they will perform very well,certainly better then the systems of their day and as good as lot of new cars. This may intail work you didn't expect,afford, or want to do. Again the O ring pistons may be the answer.
Do you have any type of warranty with them? Most times the only coverage you get would be if the sleeve failed. Runout,bad brake fluid,bad hoses,seals are not usually covered.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper rebuild

Quick Reply: Caliper rebuild