C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 01:03 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells

Has anyone heard good or bad about spraying this stuff up under the fenders ? Should you prime the wheel wells before this stuff ? I,m worried about it causing problems with my paint on the fenders ..Will this stuff soak through and cause any problems ...I,ll be painting the car soon and wanted to finish up the underside before the final paint ... :cheers:
Old 03-06-2004, 01:09 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells (White 68)

most of that rubber undercoating is really wet, drippy, messy, and takes too long to dry. If you were to get some, go with the 3m black undercoating and spray it over whatevers under there. I personally scraped off all the undercoating and primed and painted with semi-gloss black. Takes time with alot of scrubbing and cleaning, but it looks good.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:43 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells (Redshark6974)

A long time ago there was a fairly lengthy discussion of the various ways guys coat or otherwise protect the underside of the fenders. The general idea was to protect the exterior paint from being chipped by rocks flying off the tires and hitting the underside of the fender. Some guys were gluing rubber mats to the underside of the fenders, others used various coatings. MJ
Old 03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells (White 68)

You pretty much need something under the fenders otherwise the rocks that get picked up and flung by the tires will damage the fiberglass in no time. The impacts can also crack the paint on the tops of the fenders. These cars were sprayed with an asphalt based undercoating at the factory. I stripped all of the undercoating on mine because I needed access to the back of the fiberglass to make some repairs and much of the undercoating was chipping off anyway. I will re-apply the under coating after painting with an undercoating gun that I bought from Eastwood.

Mask off well around the wheel wells and you shouldn't have any problem with overspray. If you do get some overspray, bug and tar remover, Prep-Sol, or Sher-will-clean should clean it up with no problem. I don't think priming is necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells

Quick Reply: Question about rubber under coating for the wheel wells