C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weaterstrip leak question

Old 03-06-2004, 10:44 AM
tom102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weaterstrip leak question

I have a small leak on my drivers door weatherstrip it seems the weatherstrip on the topside front about 2 inches down where it meets the curve in the body has a slight gap between the weatherstrip and the body allowing water to get in and running down to the sill plate and into the car. Is there any way to build up the weatherstrip to fill the void like with liquid rubber or anything? Any ideas would be appreciated.

[Modified by tom102, 10:45 AM 3/6/2004]
Old 03-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Never Finished
Instructor

Default Re: Weaterstrip leak question (tom102)

I have the same problem. I used some self adhesive weather stripping from Home Depot on the body side of the Vette (in other words I did not add the strip to the door seal). My car is white so I got the white, firm kind about 3/8 inch wide. Before the "repair" I was afraid to drive in the rain because my carpet would get wet from the leak. I used enough that I could pour a cup of water on the crack above the leak and it would not let any in the vehicle. The big test came in a rain storm. The vette was outside and did not leak a drop.

For the purists out there, I consider it a temporary fix because I am going to have the car painted soon. I'd hate to put on new weatherstripping just to remove it for painting.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Weaterstrip leak question (Never Finished)

Good deal...I hear even with new weatherstripping, it doesn't always line up perfectly, with many guys having to use this same fix
Old 03-06-2004, 01:25 PM
tom102
Instructor

Default Re: Weaterstrip leak question (6318)

My weatherstripping is only about a year old. My original wasnt bad but I replaced it because it looked kind of brittle and I felt it was due. I probably should have left it alone. The spot where it has the leak is only about an inch and a half long, it is actually a depression in the new weatherstrip that creates the gap thats why I thought I could just build it up with something like a liquid rubber. I will go to home depot or lowes to try the adhesive strip on the door jamb. Did you put the adhesive backed strip down the entire door jamb or just on the leak? I have the carpet out of the car and will put in the new after I get this leak resolved as I dont want to ruin the new carpet.

[Modified by tom102, 1:44 PM 3/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Weaterstrip leak question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weaterstrip leak question