C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!!

HI, i just recently decided to have a cd player installed in my 1978 vette. I took it to a reputable accessory dealer, and he said no problem. WOW! Next, he said radio i picked would not work, so he put in a JVC that would fit. No problem? But he said my power antenna would not work, and would be a major job to have a new one installed. Drop exhaust system, drop inner fender, and he was not intersted. Antenna worked fine when i took it there, off of a toggle switch behind seat. After being discussted, i went to start car, and try radio. Now my gauges were not working. Temp gauge and also oil pressure gauge. He said they did nothing to those, and new nothing about this. Also worked fine when i took car there. Was so fed up, i left thouroughly discussted. If anyone has any ideas on my problems, please get back with me. One other problem also is my drivers side door latch. Just a few months ago, had latch replaced with one in really nice condition. But did not change clips. Two weeks ago, something let loose. Could not open from outside with handle. No problem, i could open from inside. Now, this past weekend, it will not open from the inside. Now, will not open from inside or outside. Any ideas? Could it be the clips holding together? I am really dumb at alot of these problems, and any help will be appreciated. Can email me at lippyscollectables@juno.com
Thanks, JIM :smash: :auto:
Old 03-06-2004, 10:03 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Default Re: My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!! (Lippy)

Sounds to me like he didnt want to spend a little extra time to work with the antenna hook up. I have an 80, that I replaced both the radio and power antenna in. The antenna was done without the removal of the muffler and it wasnt very hard to do.Unscrew the bezel from the top then loosen it at the bracket on the bottom and unplug it. Its a little tight but can be done. If I remember correctly the wire that went to the antenna relay behind the passanger seat storage compartment ( thats where it is in an 80, I dont know about a 78)is the one that got connected to the antenna wire coming from the new radio. You dont need any toggle switch.Wish I can help with your gauges, I would do the basics first like check the grounds, fuses and connections and take it from there. Good luck

[Modified by John65,80, 3:05 PM 3/6/2004]
Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of the center guages work?...if not check to see that the installer didnt dislodge the connector where the harness plugs into the gauge cluster..this is directly above and centered on your new radio, if dislodged or loose your gagues wont work.

There is no "Inner fender liner" so the guy never bothered looking and didnt want to do it for any number of possible reasons. In so far as that goes, a power antennae is easy to install and hook up and even if you do loosen the exhaust to make it easier that only adds like 10 minutes to teh job time.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:58 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Fauxrs right, I just did mine and the main connection is above the radio. Also 78 of 79 of any of the later C-3 are not the kind of car you take to an audio shop. They haven't the slightest idea of what they are dealing with. The radio and center console are tricky to work on. I suggest you take it to County Corvette 610-696-7888 and have them install your radio and go over the whole situation. You'll be much happier after having an expert do the work. I don't know where Jefferson hills is, county corvette in West Chester, pa.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:35 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!! (killain)

Hope this "reputable" shop didn't chop your poopie up to get "his choice" of radios in. That would be the first thing that pissed me off...I pick a radio I want and he puts in what he can, cause he can't put your first pick..what the hell? Secondly, if you told him all your stuff was working and he said, " I didn't touch any of that.. :bs . So now basically, he called you a liar to your face!!! :nono: Remember the golden rule of business...THE CUSTOMER'S ALWAYS RIGHT! It is part of the system you are having worked on..I would have nailed his ***** to the wall! Thirdly, he is lying about the antenna...he just don't want to screw with it! I would report this fine.."reputable shop" to the Attorney General and let him really know of my disatisfaction! :rant:

[Modified by 81' Corvette Guy, 11:39 AM 3/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!!

Quick Reply: My 1978, "Please help me if u can" !!!