C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me (ebay asking prices)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Is it just me (ebay asking prices)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2465006227

C'mon! I'm all for grabbing up NOS stuff but some of these folks think they're sitting on gold nuggets!
Old 03-06-2004, 08:01 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is it just me (ebay asking prices)? (ettev)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lolg: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-06-2004, 08:11 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

why would anyone even want 25 years old valve stems.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Is it just me (FeedVaal)

$75, get out of here. You have got to be kidding me. :bs
Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is it just me (Eddie 70)

$75, get out of here. You have got to be kidding me. :bs
:iagree: good lord some people are outta their minds!!!! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-06-2004, 09:16 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Gee, they look like valve stems to me. Someone tell the seller they haven't changed the design in 25 years...no make that 50 years!
:skep:
Old 03-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Is it just me (page62)

I think I've got some of those in my tool box. Maybe I could clean them up a bit? :lol:
Old 03-06-2004, 12:50 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it just me (Jughead)

Yeah...I got some nuggets for that guy! :reddevil
Old 03-06-2004, 02:15 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is it just me (killain)

why would anyone even want 25 years old valve stems.
:iagree: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 03-06-2004, 03:08 PM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I see many users here keep making fun of these ebay prices but more often than not the sellers get the price. So who's laughing then? The ones we should be commenting on are the buyers. I agree who in their right mind would pay some of the prices we see, but neverless they do. :rolleyes: Would you refuse "a fool and his money" who wanted to give you big bucks for a part you had?

The sellers would not be asking these insane prices if there were not "one born every minute" out there actually buying them. :nonod: It's the buyers that are willing to spend obscene amounts of money that are driving the cost of this hobby thru the roof, not the sellers who are more than glad to collect their money. :yesnod:

My 2 cents worth.

:seeya
Old 03-06-2004, 08:19 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

He is out of his mind :lolg:
Old 03-06-2004, 09:32 PM
bertmeister
Pro

Default Re: Is it just me (My69)

If only he would have had an extra one for the spare tire, I would have bought them.
:jester :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Ebay, swap meets, et.al...

I see many users here keep making fun of these ebay prices but more often than not the sellers get the price. So who's laughing then? The ones we should be commenting on are the buyers.
George,

The following post isn't a personal attack so please don't take it that way... It's simply that your post tends to echo the feeling of more than a few people on this forum.

Actually, it really isn't necessary to comment about anyone. If the buyer represents the part fairly, asks a given price, and a buyer is willing to pay that price, then who are we to question the motivation or sanity of either person involved in the transaction?

The problems that I see are:

Is the part fairly represented... That is, has the seller advertised the part/car accurately to the best of their knowledge. Even if they do, the potential still exists for someone to make an honest mistake.

Second is the buyer informed and educated on the part/car that they are buying. I know a few people who buy anything listed as "NOS" because they are under the impression that if a part is NOS, then it must be just like the original... Nothing could be farther from the truth. The NOS parking brake handle that sold for $1200 comes to mind. While it is a functional replacement for 1967-1982 Corvettes, the particular style that was sold is only correct for 1970-1976 Corvettes... I'd be willing to bet a case of beer that the person who bought it is a 1967 Corvette owner... Maybe a 1968-1969 L-88 owner. The fact is, that there are precious few cars in the 1970-1976 model range that would justify that kind of money for a parking brake handle.

I've also seen parts that are still available from GM advertised for four or five times what they are at the parts counter of the local dealership... Or situations where an excellent reproduction exists and purchasing NOS parts is then an option. The valve stems in question fall into this category... They are available from a particular vendor for $6.50 for a set of five... And I have never seen this particular reproduction take a hit during judging.

So what's the best solution if you want to buy these types of parts? Educate yourself... Or find someone who really knows what to look for.

The sellers would not be asking these insane prices if there were not "one born every minute" out there actually buying them.
It has nothing to do with "one being born every minute"... A part/car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some people see the value in factory correct parts and that isn't going to change any time soon.

It's the buyers that are willing to spend obscene amounts of money that are driving the cost of this hobby thru the roof, not the sellers who are more than glad to collect their money.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Just because this is a hobby doesn't mean that you have to lose money in order for it to be enjoyable. If a person spends "obscene" amounts of money on parts/cars, but get a more obscene return when they sell these parts/cars, then I say good for them!

Regards,
Old 03-08-2004, 10:36 AM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: Ebay, swap meets, et.al... (Rowdy Rat)

Stan,

No offense taken. However my point wasn't to condem any buyers. If you have the money to spend and your desire is to do so, then more power to you.

I may have "drifted" a bit, but my only point was just to simply say/ask that why do we keep seeing posts making fun of sellers who ask big bucks for parts? The sellers would not be doing this if there were no buyers. So thus it is the buyers that are driving this trend, not the sellers. The only thing "crazy/nuts/insane" about the sellers is if they didn't take the buyers money! :yesnod:

FWIW.

:seeya

EDIT: As a followup to my point, I just checked this auction and see that currently those 4 valve stems are upto $40.00. I guess the seller was not so "crazy/nuts/insane" afterall. :lol:

[Modified by ACECO, 11:01 AM 3/8/2004]
Old 03-08-2004, 10:55 AM
verskel
Safety Car

All it takes is 1 buyer for that ridiculous price. :rolleyes:
.....and that buyer lives in a "CAVE" :lol: :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Is it just me (ebay asking prices)?

Quick Reply: Is it just me (ebay asking prices)?