C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Rotor Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Buzz74
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Rotor Help

I'm trying to get the rear rotors off so that I can rebuild the parking brakes. I'm told that the rivetts are 3/16th so I used a 5/16th bit to drill them, but I'm not having any luck in getting the rotor off.

Any suggestions or pictures of what it should look like after drilling would be welcomed.

:banghead:
Old 03-06-2004, 12:29 AM
SCCACFC
Instructor

Default Re: Rear Rotor Help (Buzz74)

Renewing the p-brake is 100 times harder than removing the rear rotor. :sad:
Old 03-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine a month or so ago. Drill with your 5/16 (1/4 is enough really) about 1/4" deep...no need to drill alll the way through. Take a chisel and knock the heads off the rivets. then a narrow punch and push them through the back. The rotor will probably be rusted to the hub, but never fear: A couple of solid whacks with a rubber mallet will break it loose, and you're done...that is, assuming you were able to get the rear calipers off! My bolts were rusted in pretty impressively, had to do a couple of heat cycles with a torch and borrow an impact wrench to get 'em out!

Let me know how you make out, it shouldn't take long.

-Roy
Old 03-06-2004, 02:09 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

If you are going to have the rotors turned, make sure to mark the rotors so you know which wheel they came off of and what position. Otherwise you will have to worry about your runout
Old 03-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Ben's75
Instructor

your rotors are probably frozen on the hubs. Get a big (14" or so) puller - like they use to pull off brake drums on other cars. Pull those rotors off! Tighten it up, then whack it with a mallet. Tighten some more, whack again. Eventually, you'll hear a huge bang, and it'll pop right off.

Ben
Old 03-06-2004, 08:44 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

To much time with puller's and such....(im lazy) Make sure its set well on the jack stands, the heads are off the rivets. Pop them with penitrating oil and start slugging with a rubber mallet.....
Old 03-06-2004, 03:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear Rotor Help (lostpatrolman)

If you are going to have the rotors turned, make sure to mark the rotors so you know which wheel they came off of and what position. Otherwise you will have to worry about your runout

As soon as you turn them they will be out. Once turned you have to reindicate and shim for eliminating runout. I settle for nother over .003 and prefer less. Also check wheel bearing play while you have the dial indicator on the rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Rotor Help

Quick Reply: Rear Rotor Help