C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I wait to install the calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should I wait to install the calipers?

I ordered 4 new calipers at the very end of last year from VPB. Since recieving them, they have been sitting on my workbench. My car isn't licensed and won't be driven for at least 3-4 more months. I still have to replace the powerbooster/mastercylinder, rotors and pads. Should I wait until closer to the time of driving the car to install this stuff? I'm just worried about installing the new calipers then just letting them sit. I know how bad sitting is for C3 brakes.

Or should I just not worry about it and install everything this weekend?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:53 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Should I wait to install the calipers? (Ak. Mal)

Does it matter whether they sit on your car or on your shelf? Same amount of dust, surface corrosion either way. When they are on the car, that is one less thing to worry about and you get more shelf space.
Gary
Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are replacing rotors & pads, then wait so you only have to do it once.

Mounting calipers isnt too hard. Dont forget to check/replace your rubber brake hoses as these are a weak link in the brake system.

Brent...
Old 03-06-2004, 02:06 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I wait to install the calipers? (GaryS)

I had a problem with my new calipers leaking fluid if they sat for a few months and the car wasnt driven.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

Default Re: Should I wait to install the calipers? (lostpatrolman)

I had a problem with my new calipers leaking fluid if they sat for a few months and the car wasnt driven.
That is exactly what I'm afraid of happening. I'm gonna hold off on installing everything.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:59 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your caliper from VBP have the O-ring seal pistons, then you probably wont have any problems with calipers leaking from them sitting for any length of time, such as over winter et... They should be as durable as new car brake calipers.

Now if they contain the OEM lip seal pistons, then its a coin toss, as the seals can develop a memory set from sitting and can start leaking once you move them.

Brent...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:53 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Personally, I would start taking the old calipers off (may be stuck) replacing lines and the like. You don't even need to put fluid in the thing. Drain the system and start and assembling it. Just my .02.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Nifty 71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Should I wait to install the calipers? (R. Bruno)

Personally, I would start taking the old calipers off (may be stuck) replacing lines and the like. You don't even need to put fluid in the thing. Drain the system and start and assembling it. Just my .02.

:iagree:
Old 03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Default Re: Should I wait to install the calipers? (Nifty 71)

I did buy the VBP SS sleeved O-ring calipers. And I do have the old calipers off. I had to send them in for the core return. So, as of now the car sits without brakes.

I have yet to buy the rest of the system, but I have the money set aside to replace everything except the steel lines.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I wait to install the calipers?

Quick Reply: Should I wait to install the calipers?