C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's a weird one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 AM
obelisk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a weird one!

I'm getting very frustrated at my car, I just bought an Optima Redtop battery and I really like it. However my car is draining it because it's not charging when I run the car. So my first reaction was the alternator... changed it out with a remanufactured unit from Autozone. Drove to work this morning and my battery was drained, I barely made it to the parking lot. My turn signals stopped working the voltage was so low. I know I hooked it up the right way. Now anyone else have a problem like this before? The only think I can think of is an electrical ground somewhere. But if I had a ground that was draining the electrical system so bad, why did I even get my car to run in the first place?
-Joe :confused:
Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Here's a weird one! (obelisk)

Check your grounds......
Old 03-05-2004, 08:47 AM
JBR
Racer

Disconnect your pos battery cable with a muiti tester check for continuity between the pos cable and the neg. If you get a reading or beep your have a pos to ground short. The clock could give you a reading so pull the clock fuse. Then check again , pull another fuse and check again, ect. ect. until you get no reading this will isolate your drain( assuming you had a reading to start with). This is a great proceedure if the drain happens with the switch in off. But if your drain only happens when the car is on then with the tester in the DC volt mode, (car running) check pos. battery to neg.(frame of car) you should have at least 13.5 volts. If not then check output side of altenator,pos (red lead on meter) and neg. (black lead on meter to frame or altenator bracket) you should have +13.5 volts. If not I would say the new altenator is bad.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Here's a weird one! (JBR)

The problem isn't a drain ... obviously the charging system is not working.

I don't have any books here, but most repair manuals will have a troubleshooting guide that entails measuring the voltages at the control wires
as well as the output voltage.

Is it an external or internal voltage regulator ? If external, then that is the likely culprit.

81 ... I think is internally regulated. Often the two wires at the connector
can start to break under the insulation from flexing and corrosion.
If the wire feels flimsy near the connector ... this could be it.

:seeya

[Modified by NHvette, 9:51 AM 3/5/2004]
Old 03-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Never Finished
Instructor

I have found rebuilt alternators to be very iffy. I went through 5 in as many days on one car before I got one that worked. Ususally it takes 2 or 3. Rarely in the last 15 years have I gotten one that works the first time. Poor rebuild quality is probably the answer. I had the same problem with rebuilt A/C compressors. Compressors are much more difficult to install so I started buying new ones only. Never had a problem with new compressors. Alternators are easy to install. Most take less than 30 mins. New alternators are so expensive, that it is worth it to keep taking them back until you get a good one. By the way rebuilt starters are iffy too.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Here's a weird one! (Never Finished)

:iagree: with Never Finished. Although I've not had alternator problems on my Vette, I had to replace my pickup's three times the same day. The first two were rebuilt. The third and only good one was new, GM out of our local Chevy dealer stock room. :mad
Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Here's a weird one! (Never Finished)

I have found rebuilt alternators to be very iffy. I went through 5 in as many days on one car before I got one that worked. Ususally it takes 2 or 3. Rarely in the last 15 years have I gotten one that works the first time. Poor rebuild quality is probably the answer. I had the same problem with rebuilt A/C compressors. Compressors are much more difficult to install so I started buying new ones only. Never had a problem with new compressors. Alternators are easy to install. Most take less than 30 mins. New alternators are so expensive, that it is worth it to keep taking them back until you get a good one. By the way rebuilt starters are iffy too.
That's why I rebuild them myself, it's not hard

Steve :steering:
Old 03-05-2004, 08:47 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: Here's a weird one! (stpman)

fwiw, i have read many post over in C4 regarding new optimas discharging rapidly w/out any current drain.
charge and load test the battery. if it passes, get a cheap multimeter and check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. should be at least 1 volt more than with the engine off. if its not, check it at the alternator. should have within .5 of battery voltage w/ engine off, at least 1 higher when running.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:49 AM
obelisk
Intermediate

Default Re: Here's a weird one!

I found it... t'was the charging system. I found a heavily corroded wire going to the pos terminal... thanks guys. I do think I have a ground too because the battery will drain slowly if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks but that's a whole other issue.
-Joe
Old 03-06-2004, 07:50 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

I found a heavily corroded wire going to the pos terminal...
Terminal to what..battery, altenator...what..continue..don't leave us hanging! :nono: Yes..you can have a bad engine ground and it will drain battery..had one in a 64 Thunderbird..yes a ford! Started off fine in the evening..then put the lights on and barely made it to my destination..found that when I re-installed the engine the ground strap that went from the right valve cover to the fire wall was not connected...DOH. Connected it and problem solved..sometimes it is the simplest things... :(

[Modified by 81' Corvette Guy, 6:54 AM 3/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Here's a weird one!

Quick Reply: Here's a weird one!