C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Brake Booster Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Location: Inside every color vette there is a blue one trying to come out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Brake Booster Installation

OK, I have removed the booster. How do I get the brake pedal clevis off of the push rod or will the push rod & clevis come off as 1 piece? because it looks like it may be pressed on? & 2nd, does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get the nuts started once the booster is in place? I did good enough to get my 9/16 deep socket up there, I don't think my gorilla hands will make it that far to set the nuts in the threads. :confused: :smash:

[Modified by Skruball73, 9:33 PM 3/3/2004]
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Power Brake Booster Installation (Skruball73)

To get the bolts tight, you need a u-joint on your socket extension. I used about 8 inches of extension to the U-joint and then the deep socket, if my memory is correct. I think I was able to start them by hand.

For the clevis, I think you have to pull-expand the clip to the side and then it pulls off the pedal lever, releasing the pin.

I did this job and thought it was easier than what others have described here. My hands aren't Gorrilla sized hands!!

Brent...
Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Power Brake Booster Installation (MN-Brent)

Sorry, you misunderstood about the clevis. I have the booster out, the clevis is still attached to the rod, not the brake pedal. it looks like the clevis is pressed on but not certain. I have searched archives & the info is not conclusive enough regarding the clevis. are there 2 types of clevis's ? one that is pressed on from factory & one that screws on?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:31 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I recall correctly, my clevis screwed on to the shaft and was locked in place with a jam nut. I don't know if this may have changed for later years.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:40 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just changed my booster 2 weeks ago. The clevis is screwed on. I also though it was crimped/pressed on. The job only gets worse, or at lest in my case. Getting the 4 nuts on the booster wasn't too bad. It was getting the clip on the pin that connected the brake pedal. It took me over an 1/2 hour to finally get it on. There just was not any room to get two hands in. I swear GM must have a special tool to get it on.

mike
Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Power Brake Booster Installation (mandm1200)

Update: Yes, for those who may have wondered, the clevis is screwed on...what made me think that it was pressed on was the fact that the inside edge of the hole on the clevis makes it look like a rivit head of some kind, but it is just a lip that allows for more threads. I went to the ACE hardware store & found one of those Gator Grip sockets that are filled will small rods that will loosen rounded nuts & eye screws & stuff, I was able to get the nuts stuck in there just right (the rods are spring action) & was able to get the nuts threaded. Lastly, yes, the clip on the clevis pin was a bit of a pain...I don't know how many times I dropped that damned clip & had to fish behind my head to retrieve it. I finally got it in place by getting it up there & holding it with a finger, then held it in place with a screw driver & used a 2nd screw driver to assist & it finally clipped in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Brake Booster Installation

Quick Reply: Power Brake Booster Installation