C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond 5 speed users please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Richmond 5 speed users please step inside.

Really want a 5 speed that does not require major surgery to my vette and the richmond 5 speed looks to be a nice fit but would like some more feed back on it. I now there is info in the archives but would like some up to date info from new users and people who have been using ti for a while.

Does the Long shifter that comes with it bolt to the crossmember or to the tranny?

What mods if any needed to be done to make it work/fit?

How is that shifter to operate?

What gears are your guys running and what are your rpm's at 70 mph?

Where did get it from and how was the company to deal with?

Any other input is welcome and very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BTW I am trying to keep the cost down so not really interested in the 6 speed.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:42 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (Fevre)

I have a Richmond 5-speed in my Cobra replica, so the only thing I can comment on is the ease of shifting. It took me several thousand miles to get accustomed to the shifter. During that time I frequently selected 5th instead of 3rd and vice versa. I much preferred my M-21 with a Hurst shifter. However, now that I am very practiced with the Richmond, the problem of finding the right gear has gone away. And it is very nice to be able to cruise at 2400 RPM instead of 3000.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:50 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Really want a 5 speed that does not require major surgery to my vette and the richmond 5 speed looks to be a nice fit but would like some more feed back on it. I now there is info in the archives but would like some up to date info from new users and people who have been using ti for a while.

Does the Long shifter that comes with it bolt to the crossmember or to the tranny?

Thanks in advance!

So far I have liked the transmission, since it lasted the whole 5mile trip I managed to do few hours before I packed my bags and came to the UK again. So I can basickally only talk about the installation, not the driving experience. It was pretty easy to install, used my stock driveshaft and used the yolk from the old th400. Shifter is mounted on the transmission. I fabricated my own transmission bracket and used poly transmission mount. So far so good, can't wait for the next summer! :cheers:
Old 03-01-2004, 11:04 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Thanks in advance!

Rich Lagasse on the C-1 C-2 forum put one in his beautiful '67 roadster. He's a really helpful guy if you ask him.
The 5 speed is a 1:1 final drive ratio, but it has a lower first gear- so you can use 3:08's or 3:36's for rear gears.
It is the same length o/a as the Muncie or T-10. The shifter is included, and bolts to the side like the T-10 and Muncie. The yoke is a TH400, so it will fit a stock length driveshaft. I didn't do any hacking to install the Richmond 6 speed, so I don't think there's a lot to it, modification-wise...
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 03-01-2004, 02:57 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (MassVette)

In addition to what Massvette said: You will have to change the yoke...TH400 is the correct one to use, though I understand you can also get a 10 tooth spline input shaft on the R5S...you may want to consider this option. If you plan to install the tranny by itself, you will have to remove the rear tailshaft housing to clear the crossmember. Once bolted in place, the rear housing can be bolted back. You may or may not have to cut the ends off the shift rods, mine were way too long. Other than that, no modifications to the tunnel or to the crossmember are required, and the shifter is in the stock hole.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (GDaina)

Thanks for the input, I finally ran the math on the rpm's with the 3.08 and 1:1 final drive and it is a little higher than I had hoped compared to a .68 OD with my 3.70 rear now but not enough to cross the Richmond off my list. It does sound like a more straight forward install compared to doing a TKO install and with all the minor problems and delays with the Keisler unit I do not want to go that route.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I can't comment on the wait because I bought the kit from a forum member who decided to go with a 6 speed. The install so far has been a breeze. I did elect to cut the cross member but other than that it has been a very easy install. I can't wait to give it a try. BTW I also have 3.70 gears which comes out to a 2.51 final drive.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (Gordonm)

I can't comment on the wait because I bought the kit from a forum member who decided to go with a 6 speed. The install so far has been a breeze. I did elect to cut the cross member but other than that it has been a very easy install. I can't wait to give it a try. BTW I also have 3.70 gears which comes out to a 2.51 final drive.
Had I known I was going to get such a big tax refund that would have been in my car! :mad I was very close to pulling the trigger but you did instead, I really would like to go that route but I keep hearing little bits if negative feedback about Keislers' (nothing major) along with the unknown lead time makes me cringe a bit.

Enjoy it! :steering:
Old 03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I'll definitly post about it when I get a few miles on it.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Fevre,

Regarding the original topic of the Richmond 5 speed. I just bought a used one from a Forum member. This seem like the best way to go since I still had the original 3.08 gears in the rear so the 3.27 first will great and the 5th 1 to 1 matches the 3.08 gear for highway drives.

I looked at many different options before th install:

1) Richmond 5 speed is the closest bolt unit. Negatives are no shifter or reverse light kit with the trans. Hurst shifter is $300 and Long is $500. making reverse light bracket and swtch myself.

2) Richmond 6 speed comes with Long shifter and reverse light kit. Cost $1000 more than 5 spedd Richmond. Also may need more mods to mount since the 6 speed is in the rear housing.

3) Tremec is an option but 5 and 6th are overdrives. Yes the 1st gear is lower than the normal 4 speeds, but the gear spread is much bigger than Richmond units. Could be a much bigger RPM drop between gears. Cost is up there and requires more mods. Integral shifter is an improvement over Richmond external.

So far I have done a trial fit to the schatter shield on the bench. Next is to pull the old auto unit out.

Dave
Old 03-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (DaveL82)

For some reason I thought both the 5 and 6 speeds came with shifters so the price has creeped up another $300-500 for the richmond 5 speed. :(
Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Talk to the teckkies at Richmond Gear.
http://www.richmondgear.com
They were very helpful to me when I was figuring out the install. And it's free-
:yesnod:
BTW, here's a shot of the ROD 6 install in the 79-

snug, but fit fine...........

good luck!
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:
Old 03-02-2004, 09:45 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

My down the road goal is a 5 speed 1-1 5th gear. But my rear gear choice would be a 2.73 maybe even 2.56 Right now in 700R4 over drive I end up with @2.86 gearing and I would like to drop another few hundred rpm. Because most of my freeway driving is posted at 75 mph and I'm always somewhat over that speed. I just hate driving for hundred of miles at over 3000 rpm
Old 03-02-2004, 10:39 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (gkull)

My down the road goal is a 5 speed 1-1 5th gear. But my rear gear choice would be a 2.73 maybe even 2.56 Right now in 700R4 over drive I end up with @2.86 gearing and I would like to drop another few hundred rpm. Because most of my freeway driving is posted at 75 mph and I'm always somewhat over that speed. I just hate driving for hundred of miles at over 3000 rpm
I'm using 2.73 behind my Road Race Richmond, I build the car for highspeed driving, so I think it will suite my kinda driving well. :yesnod:
Old 03-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (gkull)

Was thinking along the same lines but when you add in the cost of a new gear and shifter I am almost to same cost as Keisler unit. I would not need high perforamce driving in 5th like suspect you will George, this will be strictly for longer trips and I do like to jump on the e-way to get around town too. It too do not like to drive over 3000 rpm's for long distance even thought I drove 5 hours to Toronto and back to 3500 with a 350.

Also sounds like I might as well get a richmond 6 speed with the OD gear and the shifter is included. Guess it is better to have too many choices instead of too few.

:)

[Modified by Fevre, 10:42 AM 3/2/2004]
Old 03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

http://www.ddperformance.com/GM%20T56.htm
Old 03-02-2004, 06:38 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (Scooter70)

Okay Scooter can you give us some more info on this unit?

Get notified of new replies

To Richmond 5 speed users please step inside.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (SHAKERATTLEROLL)

All that I know is what's on that site. I believe that it's a GM T56 that's been beefed up with some select Viper internals. If you're interested, call D&D. The guys that I have talked to are very personable and willing to talk to you. I need a T56 for my LS1, so I'll probably end up going up there the end of this week.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a RG 5-spd from 93-98 when the rebuild started using a 3.08 rear end. It transformed the car into something even better, and I certainly like driving it more than the BW Super T-10. Cruising, the tach showed 2950 at 70, but my tach was ax. 300 revs high, compared to spreadsheet calculators. It should have been near 2600 at 70 with 3.08's and P225R70-15 tires. Best change I made to the car from the T-10/3.70 original combination.

I have a RG 6-spd for the rebuild, but since we swapped the tweaked ZZ4 for a crate LS6, I need to get lower into the LS6's econo range after talking to Dave Hill at Carlyle. I will sell it and go with a 3.90 rear and T-56 so I can cruise between 1600-1800 revs at 63-72 respectively. That should yield 30+ mpg on the cruise control on long trips.

The RG 6-spd with Long Shifter (never did like the Hurst on the 5-speed) is available for sale. Unfortunately, my email dissolves this weekend due to a move, but you can try the cell at 352-425-0891 if interested.

Spike
Old 03-15-2004, 12:37 AM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside. (spikezz4)

I installed a Richmond Street 5-speed, a Long shifter and a 3.08 posi in my 57 in June, 2002. Hopped in it the next night and drove from FL to the NCM nonstop overnight (I was the 57 alternate for the Motorama). Five weeks later I drove to Monterey, CA and back. Since then I've also driven to Flint MI last summer. All told over 14000 miles and not one problem with that stuff. Since my tach isn't the most accurate of instruments I'm guessing that the new setup (I replaced a Muncie and a 3.70 posi that wasn't posiing well...) loses about 800 rpm at highway speeds. My mpg is right around 20. 1st through 4th gears feel quite like the old Muncie/3.70; then there's another gear-Wow!

It's fun to do this:

Quick Reply: Richmond 5 speed users please step inside.