C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

troubleshooting non functional gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default troubleshooting non functional gauge?

Trying to get my oil temp...not oil pressure...gauge to work. I installed a new delco oil temp sending unit and tested the resistance. When cold, resistance is high. When I drop the sending unit in hot water, the resistance is low. I don't think the sending unit is faulty. If I ground the sending unit wire, the gauge pegs to the right. If I reverse the ground and power wires, the gauge pegs all the way to the right. When hooked up normally, the gauge is staying to the left. Not sure what conclusion to make based upon my shadetree mechanic diagnostics. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-22-2003, 09:19 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: troubleshooting non functional gauge? (Frankenvette)

Sounds like the oil temp sensor is not making a good contact to ground, leaving you with an open circuit. Are you using some kind of sealer on the threads? That can interfere with the continuity between the sensor and the block, causing an open circuit.

I'm not familiar with oil temp sending units, so excuse me if I'm off base. Hope all is well up there Jim, long time since we chatted last.

Shannon
Old 10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: troubleshooting non functional gauge? (sb69coupe)

Shannon,

Like wise, hope all is well in good ol' NC. We miss it, but we really like the area we live in. Not to far from NYC. Hope to make Rockefeller Center during the holidays. Some great country driving in the mountains in the vette.

I did use teflon tape when I originally installed the sensor, but when I removed it today I did not see much of the teflon tape. I'll clean the threads and reinstall and try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To troubleshooting non functional gauge?

Quick Reply: troubleshooting non functional gauge?