C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front clip

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:59 PM
71 4 me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front clip

Hi all:

What is involved in removing the front clip ('70) How many connection points? How is the front clip attached to firewall?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Removing front clip (71 4 me)

The front clip is bonded at the very back by the door opening and also just in front of that at the side of the firewall. There is a vertical flange on the firewall. If you look inside the compartment you can see this front bonding area. It is also bonded across the top rear area of the fenders. You will probably do a fair amount of damage to the clip when you chisel it loose. The front is bolted to the rad support. Why do you want to remove it? Craig
Old 10-22-2003, 08:21 PM
my74ls4
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Removing front clip (CF6873)

71, I removed mine with a heatgun and a putty knife without any damage. Be careful where the fender is bonded to the top surround to not get into the bonding strip. It's time consuming but not that bad. It took a couple of hours to break the bond. Get a helper to remove the clip once unbonded. It will be easier if you remove the front tires when you take the clip off. Once the clip is off grind off the excess bond to make reassembly easier. I also drilled 4 1/8" holes on each side for alignment purposes which made it easy to reinstall.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing front clip

Quick Reply: Removing front clip