C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have i done!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 03:56 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What have i done!!

what a mess!
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/jay...interior_1.jpg

I decided to install a new wireing harness, new dash, new stereo, and whateverelse is worn out.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!!!

Any advice for putting it all back together again? Particularly how to route the harness?

thanks,
~Jay

[Modified by Jay M, 12:59 AM 10/22/2003]

[Modified by Jay M, 1:01 AM 10/22/2003]
Old 10-22-2003, 04:52 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: What have i done!! (Jay M)

Looks pretty intimidating! :crazy:
Old 10-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

I thought the same thing when i got mine apart.

Just take your time and it'll slowely come back together.
Mine took almost 6 months in afternoons and some weekends as i have a honeydo list longer than i am tall :cheers:
Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: What have i done!! (Armstrong)

I have used the assembly manual in putting mine back together. Sometimes you have to look in 2 or 3 places to get the picture but it is all covered..People here on the forum have given me info as I needed it to get through a rough spot too.
Neil in Tenn
Old 10-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: What have i done!! (Nomad78SA)

It looks like you have got your self a pretty good start at a interior resto. I have been waiting on your report on the 5 speed and now you have the car all torn apart.

I am soon to be doing the same thing to my interior. I have been gathering stuff all along to redo mine also. Good luck in yet another project. :thumbs:
Old 10-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 72 looks worse.... Keep telling yuourself, "the AIM is my guide, the AIM is my guide." Use masking tape on the wire ends to mark their function and location. Route slowly and plan your coarse of install.
Good Luck
Eddie
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

That's what mine looked like 2 yrs ago. Finished now, hope I never have to do it again, except I had it down to the base..... seats, carpets, windows (front & rear), door guts - all out.

Use the AIM.

The job will seem less daunting if you just consider it one step at a time.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What have i done!! (KenSny)

Is the "AIM" the same thing as the assembly manual? If not, where do I get the AIM?

Eddie,
The 5 speed is great, I have a 1500 miles on it now and it is shifting much better. I was expecting it to be silky smooth like most modern cars, but it isn't much better than the old muncie. I said that to a guy a Keilser and he siad that the muncie isn't a bad shifter. But the TKO has the perfect gear for any speed! First gear is perfect with my rear end (3.55 I think) It is very easy to launch, and with 540 pounds of torque it it isn't too hard to get traction. The overdrive is great, but freeway speed with the flowmasters puts the car in the RPM range (about 1700) where there is a horrible drone! As soon as possible I am getting rid of the Flowmasters, besides thet make my car sound like every other Mustang in town. I think I will use the Quiet Flow Walker mufflers instead.

First gear is a little hard to get into sometimes, as well as a 1 to 2 shift. I guess you just need to man handle it. I took it to a transmission shop and the guy said that it felt normal, but was harder than normal because the shifter is so short. 2 to 3 shift is silky smooth as long as you don't push it to either side. There is a very strong spring that keeps it in the middle where 3 and 4 are. this make 3 to 4 very easy and also 4 to 3 very easy. but downshifting to 2nd is very difficult. 4 to 5 feels like you are crossing a state line- it is way over there! But so is reverse...which is good. You don't want to hit reverse when you are aiming for 4th!!! 5 to 4 is hard to do quickly because you need to give it time to spring back to the middle, then pull it down to 4th. But I'll get quicker with practice.

So When you combine all that I have done- 5-speed, C4 seats, Hydroboost, Rack and Pinion, Fresh motor, and a nice leather steering wheel. The car is an absolute joy to drive! And as soon as I get rid of those Flowmasters it will be even better!!

~Jay
Old 10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a mess!

Mmmmm, looks like spaghetti, must be lunch time.
:leaving:
Old 10-22-2003, 12:36 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

been there and done that several times...looks worse than what it really is. good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:47 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Eddie,
The 5 speed is great, I have a 1500 miles on it now and it is shifting much better. I was expecting it to be silky smooth like most modern cars, but it isn't much better than the old muncie.
First gear is a little hard to get into sometimes, as well as a 1 to 2 shift. I guess you just need to man handle it. ~Jay
That's odd. My TKO is easy to get into 1st and all the shifts are really easy. Yes, 5th is a ways over, but it goes into gear like butter. My only issue is a slight vibration in 4th only between 1700 to 2000 rpm. But the vibe is getting less the more miles I put on it. It's almost gone, actually.

Edit: I noticed you have the keisler... could the hard shifts be because of their offset shifter?

[Modified by zwede, 1:47 PM 10/22/2003]
Old 10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You've made a big mess, that's what you've done. Actually that looks familiar. I had the dash completely out a couple of years ago but I didn't change the wiring harness. Take a lot of pictures so you remember how it went.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What have i done!! (zwede)

That's odd. My TKO is easy to get into 1st and all the shifts are really easy. Yes, 5th is a ways over, but it goes into gear like butter. My only issue is a slight vibration in 4th only between 1700 to 2000 rpm. But the vibe is getting less the more miles I put on it. It's almost gone, actually.

Edit: I noticed you have the keisler... could the hard shifts be because of their offset shifter?
The offset shifter could be the problem. The short shifter may be another. Keisler also suggested that the Lakewood Bellhousing could less than perfect.

But I guess I just need to test drive a new Mustang and see how a tremek is supposed to feel. I don't drive manual cars very often. The only other car I have driven recently was a Honda. That was smooth as silk.

Overall I would say that unless you are adamant about not cutting up you car it would be better to just get the TKO and have a reputable transmission shop install it for you if you aren't capible of doing the fabrication and welding yourself. The Keisler kit was not a simple bolt on kit. I didn't really fit my car, the transmission mount put the transmission too high to where it was rubbing against the body. The shop that installed it insisted on using a take apart yoke, therefore the driveshaft needed to be modified.

So the only real benefit I got from the Keisler kit was NOT haveing to cut the car up. Getting the transmission in and out without cutting the crossmember will require a lot of extra labor. If I had it to do over again I would just have a good shop do what you did.

~Jay

Get notified of new replies

To What have i done!!

Quick Reply: What have i done!!