C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many volts do I need to the solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many volts do I need to the solenoid?

I bought this '71 GMC from the mayor of Bubbaville. Well, all of the wiring was shot, so I did alot of rewiring. The fuel pump was wired straight to power so I put a relay on it- that's definately working. Anyway, after taking the newly purchased battery back to Autozone(brand new battery was dead), I got another one and had them check it at the store. Battery is back in. Solenoid has a faint click-VERY faint. I am getting about 10.5 volts to the solenoid. Is this normal? Is this why it isn't starting? I've checked all the wires. By the way, I also put a new solenoid from Autozone on the starter-it's made by Wells. Why ain't it starting?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: How many volts do I need to the solenoid? (79VetteMike)

Factory service manual says you need something like 7.5 or 8 volts minimum.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take off the starter and energize it - the solenoid should slap the starter gear over into plain sight. Be sure the starter is shimmed properly on the engine to engage the flywheel. Check that for burrs and missing teeth. I would consider returning the starter solenoid and buying a preassembled one from AutoZone - if the current one won't pass the test.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2003, 08:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, first off you need take a good cleaning to the cables on the frame ground ends, under the battery compartment, and on the pass side of the engine mounts....to the frame under there....then the + heavy battery wire at the solenoid....when these are ALL clean and confirmed NEW FRESH METAL to metal contact....
we can reliable take a voltmeter to the rest of the circuit....

and the prime suspect is that white molex connector plugging the starter/engine harness to the main wiring...up top on the pass side over the valve cover...

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To How many volts do I need to the solenoid?

Quick Reply: How many volts do I need to the solenoid?