C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! new seats too tall.

Old 10-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Help! new seats too tall.

I purchased a pair of IROC Z28 seats over the weekend at a swap meet, I went to install them last night, the good news, they bolted right up. the bad news... They are too tall. My legs smash the steering wheel (non tilt) and my head is JUST barely clearing the roof. anyone install these seats if so, what did you change?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:41 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Help! new seats too tall. (Corz)

corey can you modify the seat tracks for yours to fit.either that or just drive the ttop off. :jester

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 9:42 AM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if you don't already have one you can get an aftermarket steering wheel, they are usually an inch or 2 smaller in diameter. I have a leather 4 spoke and it is further way from me, closer to the dash, and smaller.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Modify the seat tracks! Will need low brackets. Look at the seat tracks and you will see what I mean. The current seat brackets are riveted to the tracks. You can drill out the rivet and fabricate new brackets from straight steel found at any home depot. Just drill holes in the new steel, cut to length and then bolt in. May give you a couple inches.... maybe 3" at the most. I think the Camaro seat has more padding on the bottom cushion that would make you sit higher. The smaller steering wheel might also help. Although, the stock wheel is 15" and an aftermarket would be 14". Making this a gain of only 1/2". (1/2" on top and bottom) Another thought.... install the seats without the tracks and see what is like. It is possible they are just too big for the space. Hope this helps... I hate when I get a part and think is gonna work awesome only to find it does not.... :crazy:
<A HREF="http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bendera" TARGET="_blank">http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bendera</a>
Old 10-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Help! new seats too tall. (Mr.Gearhead)

Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot one of these nights. tonite I'm stuck painting. somethin I gotta do before it gets too cold.

I'll keep you guys updated :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Help! new seats too tall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! new seats too tall.