C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this carb work on my Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:04 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will this carb work on my Vette?

I was just given a brand new Carter AFB carb from our Director of Engineering. He thinks it's 650 CFM. I don't know much about carbs. There are no numbers on the it. How can I tell which one it is? I will check the bolt pattern today, but it looks like it is same as our Q-jets. I have a Performer Intake by Edelbrock 2101.

Thanks. :cheers:

[Modified by desi, 11:58 AM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 12:23 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Will this carb work on my Vette? (desi)

TTT :cheers:
Old 10-21-2003, 01:09 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a Carter, it is not a 650- it may be a 625. Essentially, the same as the Edelbrock except the Edelbrock is either 600 or 750 unless it's the AVS.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 3:05 PM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 01:12 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

The AFB was abandoned by GM as a peformance carb in 1965 for very good reasons. If the carb was obsolete for performance in '65, it has not become any better after 40 years... I have a brand new one in a box, too, if you want it.

A properly tuned and sized Q-Jet, Holley or BG will vastly outperform the AFB. Stick the AFB on your mother's '65 327 Impala.

Just my subtle opinion.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:22 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Will this carb work on my Vette? (lars)

Just curious, but Desi how did you lose 85 rwhp???
Old 10-21-2003, 01:48 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

The AFB was abandoned by GM as a peformance carb in 1965 for very good reasons. If the carb was obsolete for performance in '65, it has not become any better after 40 years... I have a brand new one in a box, too, if you want it.

A properly tuned and sized Q-Jet, Holley or BG will vastly outperform the AFB. Stick the AFB on your mother's '65 327 Impala.

Just my subtle opinion.
I'd like to have that carb Lars.

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 12:49 PM 10/21/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 02:07 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

...A properly tuned and sized Q-Jet, Holley or BG will vastly outperform the AFB. Stick the AFB on your mother's '65 327 Impala.

Just my subtle opinion.
Your words are taken as gospel here when it comes to carbs. Who am I to disagree. Thanks for the info Lars. :flag
Old 10-21-2003, 02:21 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Will this carb work on my Vette? (SCVetteGuy)

Just curious, but Desi how did you lose 85 rwhp???
I bought my 74 last year, bone stock, original everything....I mean everything. Engine bay looked like an old BBQ. But the car ran 15.52 @ 1/4mi. at 95 mph. 215 RWHP.

After gaining some info on this forum, I decide to get some performance out of the old L48. I put in a cam, intake, shiftkit and headers. While I was there, I also cleaned up everything. I did the work myself. Everything worked out good, but when I dyno'ed it, I got 130 RWHP :mad Now I run 17.01 at 81 mph.

I am assuming it's because of distributor, timing and/or carb. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the timing and carb.

After the disappointment on the dyno, I have purchased a 400ci block, crank, light weight flat top pistons, rod and going to build a REAL motor with the help and guidance of MotorHead. Just not sure if it will be going in this car. Really want a bumper car. MotorHead is one hell of a guy and knows his motors.....hence the name :smash:

I am also going to get dist. recurved and timing done as per Lars paper. But that will have to wait till next year, cause the insurance comes off this weekend for winter :sad:
Old 10-21-2003, 02:53 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Carter also made the Rochester Quadrajet for GM. It will say quite prominently on the carb body that it is made by Carter. There may be an element of confusion on that point. Carter made the AFB, the AVS, the Quadrajet, and the Thermoquad (forget the WCFB...not in the same league). The AFB and AVS are both square-bore carbs where the primary and secondary are the same size (for the most part). The Quadrajet and the Thermoquad are both spread-bore where the primary throttle plates are considerably smaller than the secondary. The Thermoquad differs significantly from the Quadrajet above the throttle plate in that the fuel bowl is a phenolic resin (black plastic) and appears to be a lot larger than the Q-jet.

I have a different opinion than Lars on the worth and function of these carbs but agree that a well-tuned Q-jet is hard to beat on the street or the strip.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this carb work on my Vette?

Quick Reply: Will this carb work on my Vette?