C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~

Well, I went with a 406CID, air gap edelbrock and then a 750CFM Carb and a Th400. The problem is that I drained the Transmission b/c it needed a new pan and seal and plus who knows how long it sat without any fluid. So after running it for a while ( at first 4 quarts, then 5.5 then 10 quarts :eek: :crazy: Yeah I found out later it needs that many) I changed the fluid and pan. Installed it but when I got to 9.5 quarts the pan started to leak over the sides. I dont get it, what should I do pour in 6 quarts then get it to operating temp by running down the block a few times then check it again? Plus should I put silicon between the gasket and the trans or pan? To help out for a better seal b/c it leaks from the front 4 bolts? :confused:

Another thing is that it idles at 500rpm warm, 500 cold untill I adjusted the cold idle to 1500rpm, but then it rose to 2100rpm so I shut it down and rejusted it. But when warm its around 500-600rpm, and when I try to open the throttle in park or even when driving, the engine stalls when I floor it and hesitates? I cant figure out why it does this besides maybe I need a stiffer secondary vacuum spring?

Oh, and when I installed the TQ bolts to bolt to the flexplate, it caused the TQ to slightly move, about 1/4 to 3/8 an inch out to bolt to the flexplate. And the entire setup feels slugish, it doesnt really give a kick in the pants like my old setup had at a stop. And another thing is when Im deaccelerating, the tranny howls or whines, whats the cause of this? :confused:

Thanks for all your help in advance, I know I came to the right side of the forum to get some help about carbs and Th400 with a quick response. :thumbs: :seeya :chevy
Old 10-21-2003, 01:54 AM
BB73Chris
Instructor

Default Re: ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~ (Light84vette)

Is your accelerator pump working? As far as the hesitation when you stomp on it that's the first place I'd look, and what torque converter are you running?
Old 10-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~ (BB73Chris)

I have the stock Electirc pump with a fuel regulator, the TQ convertor is one of those B & M ones that stall depending on Power of the engine. It stalls at a higher rpm or something like that.

Also I dont think I mentioned that it has no problem keeping up high rpms, it just cant accelerate with the hammer all the way down, only if I ease on it. :nonod:
Old 10-21-2003, 04:57 PM
BB73Chris
Instructor

Default Re: ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~ (Light84vette)

I have the stock Electirc pump with a fuel regulator, the TQ convertor is one of those B & M ones that stall depending on Power of the engine. It stalls at a higher rpm or something like that.

Also I dont think I mentioned that it has no problem keeping up high rpms, it just cant accelerate with the hammer all the way down, only if I ease on it. :nonod:
That's not the pump I mean... When the throttle butterflies open a lot of vacuum goes away for a second until the engine can respond and start pulling more air. In that moment of low vacuum a few things happen.. the velocity of the intake charge slows way down and lets the fuel drop out of the air or condense on the walls of the intake, and the velocity of air going through the venturies in the carb slows way down and doesn't pull enough fuel out of the float bowls into the venturies.
Basically, this all works together to let the engine go way lean for a second and it hesitates. To counter this, carburators have an (or two) accelerator pump which is basically a little piston that is connected to the throttle shaft so that when the butterflies open it pushes this piston down and pumps raw fuel out into the venturi usually in two streams which are pointed to hit the booster venturi and splash/spray into the intake manifold to help with quick atomization.

To make all that long story short, if your accelerator pump doesn't work your car wont take throttle quickly, and to check it you can take your air cleaner off and look down into the carburator primaries and move the throttle by hand all the way open and see if there are streams of fuel being squirted into the venturies.
sorry I just talk alot.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~ (BB73Chris)

Yes, extar fuel does get squirted in when I open the throttle. So if this is in working condition ( Brand new Carb) then would this mean that the secondaries open to soon? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~

Quick Reply: ~~~C4 with Th400, need help from C3 Forum Members~~~