C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Rental_Cop
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb?

On the stock Q-jet, every time i'd go above 3500 rpm or give is gas too suddenly, a relly loud screeching/squealing noise would come from somewhere right in front of the carb - doesn't seem to be the beslts slipping, and it went away if I made it really over-rich.
Now i got a 750cfm, Vac. Secondaries Speed Demon and a Performer RPM intake on there - and the noise is still there, but quieter.
It's way louder that the chambered exhaust, so I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb? (Rental_Cop)

Wow, that's really weird. The only thing I can think of, if you're SURE it's the carb and not belts or anything, is that maybe you've got a pretty incredible vacuum leak. And when you rev it, it sucks so hard it whistles.

Why don't you get some starting fluid or propane, and with the engine running, see if the idle speed picks up when you pass a certain spot. If it does, you found a vacuum leak. Get a new gasket and fix it. 5 minutes if that's what it is.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:25 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb? (Bearcat)

:iagree: If it's the carb, I can't see how it could be anything else--no parts that could really make that sort of noise. I'll bet it's a belt or your water pump, even though it seemed to change with the carb change.

JB
Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb? (Rental_Cop)

Check your base gasket, make sure all the nuts/bolts holding it to the manifold are correctly tightened.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:55 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb? (Smokehouse69)

mine did that it was the gasket, i forgot to clean the base before i replaced, it fixed it.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Rental_Cop
7th Gear

Default Re: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb? (munday)

alright, I 'll try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes...

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb?

Quick Reply: HELP - REALLY loud Screeching noise coming from front of carb?