C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 454 1 HOT 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:57 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 72 454 1 HOT 1

The topic tells it all. My son's 72 454. Stock motor and excellent shape. New HD Al. Rad. 1 elec fan. New fan clutch, stock fan. Wetter in water. The engine will hit 230 in traffic after driving a while. I think it is poor air flow over the big block and exhaust manifold. There is very little air gap. The shroud was new with the rad. He bought the car with rebuilt motor. We have discussed possible incorrect head gaskets but with more air flow the engine appears to take longer to heat up (elec fan of). The car has fact. a/c.

He is away in USAF for now so I won't work on car until he returns (when ever that is :confused: )

I think we should remove the hood and test drive to confirm the air flow is the heat up issue. If it is any suggestions to fix this issue, really nice car.

The engine is timed by the #'s and is basically stock. Thanks to all who respond. vettdvr 99 Nassau Blue :flag
Old 10-20-2003, 10:58 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 72 454 1 HOT 1 (jimcork1)

Do you still have the foam seal around the top of the radiator (seals to bottom of hood when closed)? If it's gone or missing your air is probably riding over the top of the radiator rather then going through it. Just an idea.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Quick Reply: 72 454 1 HOT 1