C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Get In Our '77??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can You Get In Our '77??

Dumb bunny here (that would be me) decided, while the calipers are off the car and it's on jack stands, to fire the "B" up and just listen to it burbble and feel good about my progress on the calipers. Now keep in mind that the door handles are not attached to the striker plates one either side of the car. So while in the car, I roll up the windows for God only knows what reason, then I get out of the car (engine off), and shut the doors.

So with no connection between the outside handle, and striker plate, I'm not sure how to get back in my car. Anyone been through this before? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendell
Old 10-20-2003, 07:48 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can You Get In Our '77?? (Wendell Allen)

Do you have roll up windows or power windows.

I had this happen on a 74 and could not get inside.

I took a screw driver and pried the drivers window apart about 1/4 inch right at the windshield post. I then stuck a stiff antenna inside the car and pushed on the window crank and turned it enough to get the window down enough to get my fingers inside and unlatch the t-top and then crawl over and inside.

Good Luck........
Old 10-20-2003, 08:22 PM
PigPen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm able to get into my '76 by sticking something (bent screwdriver) in the top of the window and undoing the T top latches, then lift the top off. It so easy, it's scary.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

So right after you realized your mistake, did you look like this guy? -->
Old 10-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Dawg - You bet. And I still feel like it.

The guy who sold me the car said to string some coat hangers together and run it to the other side of the car with a loop on the end of the hangers. I can get it around the door handle, but it's at such a wierd angle that it won't pull the latch enough to click the door open. Plus, pulling the handle, on this gummy of a latch is like pulling the door against itself.

I looked at the T-Top idea, but it didn't look doable. I'll give it another shot though. Thanks everyone.

(Any other suggestions would be appreciated - just in case!)

W
Old 10-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Go to the hardware store or WMart and get a 5 foot aluminum yard stick (yeah, I know a yard is 3 foot, but other than scale, didn't know what else to call it :D ). If it doesn't already have a nail hole in one end of it, drill one about a quarter inch diameter. Tie a string through the hole making a loop. Work the yard stick though at the top of the window, place the loop over the far side door handle and pull.

Worked for me. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:18 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Can You Get In Our '77?? (Rolling Thunder)

I had a similar problem several years ago when I locked the keys inside. I jimmied the side window down enought to stick a large (3/8" ) allen wrench through and undo the latches on the T-tops.

Just be careful you don't bend any of the window mechanism. (don't ask why I 'm telling you this).
Old 10-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the good replies everyone. Wish I'd have thought of the flat aluminum stock yesterday, so you wouldn't have to be replying to my post.

I found some 1/8th steel rod stock in the garage. so I bent it into a t-top tool. Turns out all I had to do to break one of the front t-top latches loose was to pound on the top. Then it was just a matter of breaking the tention completely loose, then lifting the front of the top enough to let me use the tool on the back latch. I'm soooo glad it didn't crack the window.

One thing I did learn is that if these tops are on the way they should be, and the window is properly aligned and tightly in it's track, and there's little/no slop in the window tracks and water channel/door panel, these things wouldn't be as easy to get off as they are. But I guess I'll just buy some t-top locks since this is going to soon be my daily driver.

Anyway, thanks again. And I'll bet you can guess what I'll be doing as soon as I put down my one last key strok...

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Get In Our '77??

Quick Reply: Can You Get In Our '77??