C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did this pile of rust use to be??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:32 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default What did this pile of rust use to be??

Somehow I'm never reached into the hole behind the wheel wells in the storage area of my Vette. Now that I did (looking for a lost T-Top screw thingy) I find a bolt sticking up and a BUNCH of rusted metal chunks laying all around it... did this use to be a body mount? I can't even tell if there's still a nut on the bolt, but the other side isnt' nearly as bad, and it seems to have one. What is this?

Also, I'm assuming I have a leak into this space, what are the possible water entry points around this area?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: What did this pile of rust use to be?? (RUXperienced)

Sounds like the #4 body mount. You can look at the lower part just behind the rear wheels (take the wheel off and you'll see it easily).

You may want to replace it in which case I recommend you cut the bolt on the bottom instead of trying to get the nut off. The rusted metal is the nut cage that is supposed to prevent the nut from spinning. Also, the nut is not a standard nut, but rather it is rectangular to fit in the cage so a socket won't work.

Common entry for water is the rear decklid drainage hoses.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:59 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What did this pile of rust use to be?? (zwede)

Do '77s have drainage hoses? If so where?

Yes, I know of that mount, I guess I didn't relate that to where it would be inside. Another question, how many body mounts can you get to without taking the body off? All of them?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:58 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet you that the rusted parts are the remains of your seat shims. I didn't see what year you were talking about but there were 8 round seat shims, about 1.2" in diameter, and four rectangular shims, about 2 X 3.5".

A Corvette leaking water? Tell me it ain't true!
Gary
Old 10-21-2003, 12:08 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Zwede said... On my 75, those "black holes" were also filled with rust from the cage for the square nut. I broke both nuts free trying to get the bolts out. I ended up cutting through the bolts. As for water entry, I can't really help you. My 75 sat in a pasture for 8 years and I have to wonder where water didn't enter into the car... :D
Old 10-21-2003, 12:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Do '77s have drainage hoses? If so where?

Yes, I know of that mount, I guess I didn't relate that to where it would be inside. Another question, how many body mounts can you get to without taking the body off? All of them?
You can get to all mounts without taking the body off. You have to lift the body several inches to replace the lower body cushions.

Not sure about 77, but do you have the 2 gills at the rear window? Water entering through the gills then go into 2 hoses under the rear deck lid and then out at the wheel-wells. Atleast that's what my 71 looks like.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:01 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What did this pile of rust use to be?? (zwede)

Nope, those ended before '77. I've just got flat deck all the way back. I would think the luggage rack, but that seems too far back and sealed off. Same for the antenna....surely not flowing all the way back from the rear window? Maybe just moisture in the air.

As for the seat shims, you must be thinking of a different area. My rust pile was found in the very back corner of the luggage area.

-Chris

Get notified of new replies

To What did this pile of rust use to be??

Quick Reply: What did this pile of rust use to be??