C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching Numbers Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
piratemike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Matching Numbers Question

Hello everyone,
I have a question about matching numbers and how that affects price. My current project is a base model '72,t-tops,ps,ac,am-fm,auto. Anyway, with most of my projects I usually repair/restore/modify to my own liking then sell and move on to the next project. That is probably what will happen to this car as well however, this is the first car I have had that is mostly original, matching numbers, even has the original spare which has never been used. When putting this car back into good driving conditon, how much will non-factory mods like, headers,aluminum intake, chrome valve covers, etc affect selling price? I have all of the original stuff but, I kinda like headers and some "dress up" items.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Matching Numbers Question (piratemike)

This is a big can of worms type question. The answer is not an easy one. if you are going for resale, you should get more for numbers matching, if you are building for yourself, do it your way and save the original parts. Keep in mind that the Corvette is one car were originality is highly valued, but it's not always the "numbers" alone, it could be limited availabilty or some other price enhancing item.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:18 PM
63Banshee
Melting Slicks

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

Default Re: Matching Numbers Question (piratemike)

Assuming the car is entirely numbers & code matching… the investment quality of the car won’t be affected as long as it can be brought back to original. I do the same thing with many of my cars. Just don’t do anything to butcher it and you won’t have to sweat the investment.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

Default Re: Matching Numbers Question (72GACRZR)

...If you are going for resale, you should get more for numbers matching, if you are building for yourself, do it your way and save the original parts...
Do what you want with it, but always have the original parts just incase.

Get notified of new replies

To Matching Numbers Question

Quick Reply: Matching Numbers Question