C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install Fiber rear springs?

Old 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
yankees1
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Install Fiber rear springs?

I was thinking about ordering a fiberglass rear leaf spring for my 72 vette. However, I have been reading about how cracks appear within a year after installing and that heat shields should be installed . Are there ready made heat shields that can be purchased? Opinions? :confused:
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (yankees1)

I'm not sure of the VBP's spring but the Muskegon is supposed to come with the shields. I have the steel spring out of the car and am rust proofing the rear as I write this. I just haven't taken the composite out of the box yet.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:52 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (Bobchad)

My car had the fiber spring when I bought it in fall of 93. I haven't had any problems with it and I don't have any covers.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (redwingvette)

I used header wrap over the spring.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:09 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (redwingvette)

My car had the fiber spring when I bought it in fall of 93. I haven't had any problems with it and I don't have any covers.
:iagree: - Mine was already on the car when I bought it last year (installed 2 years prior), but it's in good shape. I got a pretty good look at it when I changed the bolts a couple of months ago. No heat shields or anything. I'll look closer this week when I change out my strut rods.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:50 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (yankees1)

I have used VBP glass springs for years with no problems. On my 74, the exhaust was close to the spring so I wraped the exhaust with header wrap. If I remember correctly, VBP recomends at least a 2" clearance. I would call the manufacture of the product you want to use and ask them about clearance.
The nicest shielding I have seen was posted on the forum a couple of weaks ago, it was metalic heat shield held on the spring with SS bands.
I guess the point is, if you are worried about heat, there are several solutions.
Don't be afraid of them, they all come with a warrantee.

[Modified by jpatrick636, 6:51 PM 10/20/2003]
Old 10-20-2003, 08:08 PM
yankees1
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs? (jpatrick636)

I am not familiar with the different companies that make/sell fiberglass springs. Who do I contact for VBP springs? I think Van Steel was one company that was reccommended. Any suggestions for a high quality fiber spring?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Install Fiber rear springs?

I just.. I mean, Steve (Pacin' California) and I installed my fiberglass rear spring. I have a real meaty (read: thick) spring from VB&P but I haven't gotten to drive the car yet :( I've seen thin & wide fiberglass models, mine isn't very wide but it's pretty thick.

Having my car torn apart as much as I do (engine, exhaust, suspension & gas tank) and the fact it's a non #s car I think I've found a way to avoid the exhaust heat problem. If your exhaust isn't already out of the car, you have to do some modifying. I may go with turndowns after the muffler. My exhaust wasn't set up following the stock route and I don't have the cutouts in the rear valence either. This lets me put the mufflers in a variety of places, presuming I can keep them mounted in one way or another.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Fiber rear springs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Install Fiber rear springs?