C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure.

Having problems again with the stroker. No banging this time but now the oil pressure is somewhat low, 16/17 psi at 900 rpms and it fluctuates at higher rpm's like it is sucking the pan dry but I actually have it a little over filled after noticing it. My guess is a bearing is toast and at high rpm's the centrifical force is swinging the rod to one side allowing oil to spew out in higher volume. Will be pulling the pan and checking the bearings but wanted some input on what else might cause this to happen and what else to look at.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure. (Fevre)

Sounds like a good place to start looking, check your pickup and make sure it is seated good into the pump, it could be sucking air around the tube.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure. (Smokehouse69)

Will do! :thumbs: Might just change pumps since I have an extra I was running in my 350, that is assuming all the bearings check out OK.

[Modified by Fevre, 3:08 PM 10/20/2003]
Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure. (Fevre)

Chris, You have no luck with strokers do you?

Definitely check the pickup and replace the pump since you have a good one there. It seems very similar to my bearing issues on my 78.... fluctuating oil pressure.... the ca-bango.... I spun a main... the ride home completed the trio of main bearings spun.

I hope its the oil pump/ pickup...... At least you are getting well versed in oil pan removal and replacement :cheers:
Old 10-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure. (MikeC)

Just started it late last week so I am expecting to find at least one bearing is unhappy. I wish I could remember what the oil pressure was when I first got the eng. Sucks cuz it is actually running pretty strong. :( Good news is I got a 350 just waiting to go back in for the cost of an eng gasket set and a few hours of my time. I wanted to put this stroker in the Formula, guess that plan has to change. If is the same bearing as the first failure, #6, than I am thinking that there is a blocked oil passege for the that rod journal. Outside chance the mains front main is toast since I left the crank turning ataptor bolted to the balancer which gave it a nice vibration. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Other reasons for fluctuating oil pressure.