C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Big Block guys??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hey Big Block guys??

I am getting ready to assemble a 400hp/427 for a buddy of mine and am curious if any body has a preferance for head gaskets. I DEFINATLY don't want to even think about having to retorque these heads after assemly!!! Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Hey Big Block guys?? (Jim Martley2)

I use FELPRO gaskets exclusively. I've never had a problem with their permatorque (blue coated) head gaskets.

Hans
Old 10-20-2003, 03:45 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Hey Big Block guys?? (Wrencher)

Although I have had good luck with fel-pros headgasket (NOT their intake gaskets!), I'm curious to try victor reinz head gaskets. I recently got a set of VR intake gaskets and found the quality to be way above fel-pros. Finally cured an annoying oil leak (sucked oil from the lifter gallery). Victor Reinz is a part of Dana Corp and makes all the gaskets for the LS1 and LS6. They were the only ones that managed to design a headgasket that sealed properly on the LS1/6. It's a very tricky seal as you have an aluminum block and heads in a V tied by the intake. The expansion rates ended up very different between block and heads so VR designed a gasket that lets the aluminum slide over the gasket and yet maintain the seal.

Anyway, enough rambling... but lately I have started to gravitate away from the big aftermarket guys and instead go with the OEM suppliers. Their quality has been much higher on the items I've bought sofar.

Get notified of new replies

To Hey Big Block guys??

Quick Reply: Hey Big Block guys??