C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which ignition wires to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Which ignition wires to buy?

I want to install new wires on the '79. It's all stock, I'm more interested in durability/reliability then performance, although sometimes they are all one in the same. I want to locate the new wires in the stock clips using the factory routing. I'm afraid if I go to Auto Zone or Pep Boy's and ask for a set for a '79 vette I'll get wires that are way longer then the originals. So I figure I'll buy a set that I can cut to fit. I know a lot of you have all ready been down this road and I would like to hear your recommendations. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:37 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Which ignition wires to buy? (Augie 79)

I have a set of Mallory 8mm wires. They were a PITA to cut and install to length, took me hours.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a set of 8mm Summit brand wires a couple times on my 73 with wiring looms. I used the cut to fit ones and they come with a pretty nice tool for stripping/crimping. About $32 or so. I recomend against the yellow Accel wires, they get dirty easy and look like crap once they are.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:11 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Which ignition wires to buy? (Fevre)

I use Borg-Warner Select. They're spiral core. Under $50 from pep-boys. Much better quality than Accell. The accells only lasted 3 weeks on my 454 with headers before the boots burned through and it started missing. I tried the super stock, extreme 9000 and 8.8. All did the same thing even with boot sleeves. Switched to borg-warner and no more problems.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Which ignition wires to buy? (zwede)

Zwede, on those Borg-Warner Selects, are they cut to fit? Thanks guys! I love this place for the straight poop.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:37 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Advance sells Delco already pre-cut. I have also used their pre-cut Autolite which are good wires (just orange though). I have had very good success with Moroso Blue-Max pre-cut. I have had bad luck with Advance and Auto Zone (red) house brand wires. Auto Zone now sells Bosch, which I have no experience with, but are probably OK.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Zwede, on those Borg-Warner Selects, are they cut to fit? Thanks guys! I love this place for the straight poop.
The BW selects are pre-cut. They actually fit mine fine. Color is dark grey, which I think is a good color in the long run as bright colors look crappy after a few months (dirt/grime).

Get notified of new replies

To Which ignition wires to buy?

Quick Reply: Which ignition wires to buy?