C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater controls and fan switch question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:03 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Heater controls and fan switch question.

I actually have a few questions. My car is a '71 with factory air.
1. For the fan switch\selector there are 2 connectors going into it. Which wire\wires should be hot? I am not getting any power under the hood at the blower motor when the switch is on.
2. On the left hand side of the housing there are 2 swicthes that are activated by turning the thumb wheels. Are these switches available aftermarket? The one that cuts on the AC is broken on mine.
3. Kinda of a play on the first question. What all connectors going into the housing itself should have a hot lead?

Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heater controls and fan switch question. (BlackRat)

I think the brown wire is hot. It goes through the fuse block; check your fuse.
I think you can get those switches new, try zip or ecklers. If you have not invested in a wiring diagram, do so now. I just put two '71's back together and couldn't have done it without an assembly book and a wiring diagram. Also in the system is an inline fuse on the driver side engine bay coming off of the horn relay. I think it is an orange wire, like a 10 or 12 ga. Then you have your blower relay mounted on the a/c box under the hood. I think there is a relay or two under the pass side dash on the air box that have something to do with it all too. You really need a wiring diagram , patience, and at least a 6 pack to do this job! :D
Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Heater controls and fan switch question. (PRESSURERAT)

Thanks for the info. I do have one of those big wiring diagrams and an AIM but I have to admit I can't understand the wiring diagrams. :bb Seems like the wires I have and the wires that are listed don't match. It is the correct diagram for my year I think it is just me. :crazy: You mentioned an Orange wire. I do have one that is bundled up and has a continuous 12v going to it. Where does it hook to? :confused: The wiring in this car was a mess when I bought it. The last genius that had it spray painted the entire engine bay yes including the wires. :mad :smash:

Thanks
Wade

[Modified by BlackRat, 8:44 AM 10/20/2003]
Old 10-20-2003, 09:48 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heater controls and fan switch question. (BlackRat)

The orange wire hooks to the relay on the air box with four prongs on it. All of this info is on my wiring diagram in the section labeled '1971 Air Conditioning'. I think this is the main power wire for the blower. I think.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:29 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Heater controls and fan switch question. (PRESSURERAT)

Thanks I will take another look at it when I get home. Pretty embarassing to be a programmer and can't read a simple wireing diagram. :banghead:

Thanks again,
Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Heater controls and fan switch question.

Quick Reply: Heater controls and fan switch question.