C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my nose and chin job!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Finished my nose and chin job!

Well it's taken me a while, but I finally got the bumper support and cracked valance fixed on my car. Being old and having artheritis really limited my time squatting under the nose of the car so it took me a couple of months to get it finished. The repair work with the glass was fairly simple ground out the cracks and used multiple layers of glass in the cracks. The real problem came from fixing the bumper support hole. I guess that's what it's called, when I bought my car there was a crack around the bolt that holds the driverside of the chrome bumper. The previous owner said that his wife had lowered the garage door on the bumper and caused the crack. I figured it wouldn't be too tough to fix when I got around to it. Well, when I pulled the bumper off I saw the crack was a lot more serious than I originally thought. About half of mounting area (which is about 3/4" thick block of plastic and fiber glass) was shattered. Bubba had apparently tried to fix it by gluing the chunks together and painting over it. I made a mold, from the other side of the car, and proceeded to make my own by layering strips of glass and resin. After I had it finished I glassed the molded piece into the car and then started sanding and filling.
I finally finished painting everything under the valance and the nose yesterday and put everything back together this afternoon. Everything fit as well as it had before, with the exception of the new plastic air dam I bolted on. It actually fit better on the side of the valence that I rebuilt than the other side that I hadn't touched.
I took some pictures but I can't get my darned memory card reader to work! I'll take the card to work with me tomorrow and download the pictures from there and stick them in this post.
I got the paint from a buddy who's brother owns a body shop, they did an excellent job color matching the paint. I used a single stage acrylic enamel since that's what was on the car. The stuff isn't hard to spray, but it can run fairly easily if you put it on too heavy in one pass. I got a little orange peel on the valance but it'll probably come out with a little 1500 sandpaper and compound. Anyway you can't really see it unless your laying on your back with your head stuck under the nose of the car.
My next project is painting my L88 hood and putting it on the car, I probably wait until Jan. or Feb. it's driving season in South Texas!!

Quick Reply: Finished my nose and chin job!