C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 stereo guys…

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 stereo guys…

Sup guys
I need some installation advice for a new stereo system.

Please check this out: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=674761

:)
Old 10-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: C3 stereo guysÂ… (Turbo-Jet)

Cam,

I think there is an aftermarket center gage piece that you can get that has a different opening more suitable for 99% of car stereos. The opening our stock ones have severely limits our choices for stereos.

I am very disappointed with the sound of my Autosound stereo i bought for the 69. One of the biggest wastes of money I have spent. I think if I used an amplifier and could somehow install discreet speakers with a lot of bass it would help. I don't want a boom box machine to drive either.

The factory Bose system in my ZO6 was not very good until I installed Dynamat Xtreme throughout the interior and behind the speakers. Now I am very satisfied! I think this would also be the case for you and your stereo using an under car exhaust system. Side pipes are more difficult to mute.

I am looking forward to hearing the suggestions of others myself.

Chuck
Old 10-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: C3 stereo guys… (Chuck Harmon)

see audio section :thumbs:
Old 10-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.boomspeed.com/rich80/Im001933.jpg http://www.diymobilesound.com/box1.htm
I Installed a Pioneer 1500 Mosfet50 in mine. Started with a hand hacksaw and startes cutting the dashboard SLOWLY. I ended up with a dremel to finish the opening. Speakers are 6 X 9 240 watt Pioneers and 4 X 6 Pioneers up front. The trick is the rear speaker boxes. I built them like the article. Made a big difference in the sound. Take your time. Good Luck.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Vettastic
Safety Car

Cam,

I think there is an aftermarket center gage piece that you can get that has a different opening more suitable for 99% of car stereos. The opening our stock ones have severely limits our choices for stereos.
Posted the link for the pre-fabbed DIN bezels in the post in the audio section. :)
Old 10-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Cam,

I am very disappointed with the sound of my Autosound stereo i bought for the 69. One of the biggest wastes of money I have spent.
Chuck,
Your right! my 75 had a Pioneer made for the dash and it is junk. No volume on the high end, and if I have the top down it is hard to hear it.

I took the original am/fm/stereo radio for the car and sent it out to have it converted to ditgal. They upgrade it and wire it for four speakers and add a CD jack in the rear of the case.

Now I have to wait 8 more weeks to get it back.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Cam,

I am very disappointed with the sound of my Autosound stereo i bought for the 69. One of the biggest wastes of money I have spent. I think if I used an amplifier and could somehow install discreet speakers with a lot of bass it would help. I don't want a boom box machine to drive either.

The factory Bose system in my ZO6 was not very good until I installed Dynamat Xtreme throughout the interior and behind the speakers. Now I am very satisfied! I think this would also be the case for you and your stereo using an under car exhaust system. Side pipes are more difficult to mute.

I am looking forward to hearing the suggestions of others myself.

Chuck
I am going to buy a replacement centre gauge console and modify it to fit my new deck, which is DIN size. I'll machine an aluminum cosmetic plate to fit and get it powdercoated black, or anodized silver. I'll fab up some sheetmetal brackets to to hold the deck from the inside.

Any close-up pics out there of custom deck installations?

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 8:55 PM 10/20/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Bearcat
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C3 stereo guys… (Corvette ED)

My sidepipes are so loud, I didn't even bother. Besides, it's kind of neat that the original Wonderbar radio still works, even if I can only hear it when I'm parked!

However, I know Classic Industries sells a stereo called "Secret Audio". It's kind of a neat idea that I really like. If I had a quieter Corvette, I'd be interested in it. It still allows the original radio to be installed and even working. You mount your alternate stereo in some secret place, and activate it with a remote. Then discretely mount your other speakers and no one will know you have a high end stereo in there. Also hard to steal what you cannot see.

I've given this some thought. You could make a false wall in the back of the storage compartment and mount 6x9's or woofers in a custom box and cover it with carpet. You sacrifice maybe 6 inches at the most, and the sound will go right through the carpet.
I'd use the 4x10's in the kick panels for the good stereo, and get a set of smaller 4" or 5 1/4" speakers for the Wonderbar (since it's "Lo Fi" anyway). Pioneer makes some great 4x10's.
If you want tweeters, I read that someone on this forum hid little tweeters in the air ducts on each side. It was still functional as an air duct too! Move the ball duct and not only direct what meager air the Astroventilation provided, but also direct the tweeter sound!

Hide a big amplifier under the glove box behind the passenger seat, and you can have a really great sounding hidden stereo. And still keep the original for the car shows and stuff.

[Modified by Bearcat, 10:04 PM 10/20/2003]
Old 10-21-2003, 08:19 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C3 stereo guys… (Corvette ED)

Corvette Ed,

Who is converting your stock radio? I have the stock '73 radio for my car but no "activator" or whatever they call the outbooard amp piece. Is that needed for your conversion?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 AM
C3 - 81
Instructor

I just installed a Alpine CD player in my 81. These pics might help. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/427769/3
Mick

Get notified of new replies

To C3 stereo guys…

Quick Reply: C3 stereo guys…