C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 10:58 PM
1970TopDownAlways
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Hose Replacement

I am in the middle of replacing the hoses in the vacuum system for my 1970 convertible. There are some hoses that need to go through the firewall between the actuators and the switches. I was hoping for some help with exactly how to do this. Besides removing the wiper door temporarily, what else will I need to do to gain access to the light switch, wiper switch, and override switch (ie the route through which to feed the hoses from under the hood, especially). Thank you all for you help. Good night.

Craig
Old 10-20-2003, 12:22 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Vacuum Hose Replacement (1970TopDownAlways)

good luck! I was able to change the hoses that go to the override switches - They are pretty easy to reach. One at a time, I first disconnected the old and pulled them thru the firewall from the engine side. threaded the new one back in the reverse way. I never could get to the one behind the headlight switch. I remember asking about it. Somebody claimed that it was reachable with great effort from underneath the dash but I think the normal procedure is to pull the dash partway out which I was not prepared to do. MJ
Old 10-20-2003, 03:39 PM
DaddyO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vacuum Hose Replacement (MNJack)

:iagree:

I did it the same way.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vacuum Hose Replacement (1970TopDownAlways)

I replaced all mine when I had my interior out and had everything working until I put the dash back together. :mad I could not get the headlights to work and tried like hell to get my fingers in there and fiddle with the hoses but it was just too tight. I too was not going to pull the dash back aparts and I finally just gave up and hosed it (is that the same as 'wired it'?) to the bypass under the dash so now I have to reach down there to pop up my headlights. :rolleyes:
Old 10-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Vacuum Hose Replacement (Fevre)

I got to my wiper door switch through the vent. Remove the vent in front of the wiper door and you can remove the hoses. Use a razor knife to split the hoses so you can get them off of the switch easier. You don't want to have to buy one of those switches if you don't have too. Hope this is some help.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Get your 70 registered at the 1970 Corvette Registry. It is a neat little undertaking being put together by one of the members with a 70 vert.
http://corvetteforum.net/c3/1970regi...0registry.html

[Modified by Eddie 70, 3:54 PM 10/20/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum Hose Replacement

Quick Reply: Vacuum Hose Replacement