C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals or Hand Bent?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Duals or Hand Bent?

1980 vette - Are the Mid America jig true duals the way to go, or for close to the same price, hand bent aluminized?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:05 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: True Duals or Hand Bent? (Dk Met Grn 80 L82)

People in the past have complained about getting the pipes to fit. Many have had to take them to a muffler shop and the labor then ends up being the same as having a custom bent set.

Old 10-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

Default Re: True Duals or Hand Bent? (BSeery)

I will have a shop put them on with either option. I don't think I will be able to get those rusted exhaust manifold bolts out without breaking them.

I guess either option will perform about the same, so I guess it comes down to convience, cost, and final installed appearance.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

1980 vette - Are the Mid America jig true duals the way to go, or for close to the same price, hand bent aluminized?
If you're refering to the "Chambered" true dual system sold by MAD, it fits fine! It took a little tweaking, but not a lot. At $300 I thought it was a fair price, but I didn't get any quotes from muffler shops inre hand bent aluminized systems.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:39 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Okay since I’ve wrestled a lot with my '74s exhaust pipes lately I did notice a few things. I bought the big block 2&1/2” dual system from Chicago Corvette but found they had Corvette Central labels on them. They did fit but don’t line up with the stock body impressions/exhaust channels (aft of the trans) that are lined with insulation. I don’t like some of the tight bends in the piping either. But the price wasn’t all too bad and bolt on was fast and worked the first time (a real first on this car). :bb

Get notified of new replies

To True Duals or Hand Bent?

Quick Reply: True Duals or Hand Bent?