C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to cut new door panels for door pulls....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Garson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cut new door panels for door pulls....

I am in the process of installing new door panels in my 74 coupe. What is the best way to cut the new panels for the door pulls, Do I use a razor blade to make an X or try to cut a round hole?

Garson
Old 10-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Silver73LS4
Intermediate

Default Re: How to cut new door panels for door pulls.... (Garson)

I did this about a year ago. I bought my door panels from Corvette America, they have a plastic backing and foam padding under the vinyl. I went to a hobby or craft store and bought an x-acto knife with a pointed angled blade, used an awl from the back side to poke a center hole and cut a round hole for the door pull. It can be a little nerve racking to cut holes in a new door panel but if you start small and go slow, it will work out fine! Good luck with your 74!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:56 PM
MN 72 454
Advanced

Default Re: How to cut new door panels for door pulls.... (Garson)

I used a Dremel with a pointed stone and burned a hole through by going very slowly. I had to remove some of the padding under the vinyl for a proper fit and it worked great. I just went in small circles until the hole was large enough. Also worked very good for window regulator holes. The holes looked as if they from the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To How to cut new door panels for door pulls....

Quick Reply: How to cut new door panels for door pulls....