C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Videos of new 406 in action.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:21 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Videos of new 406 in action.

Me and the little lady took the camera out this weekend to try and get some clips of the '74 with the new 406 stretching its legs a little. It was her first time using the camera, and all things considered I think she did a great job. :yesnod: Apart from an oil leak the new motor has been running great. I'm a little hesitent to get to far into the throttle as I don't have a postive throttle stop yet and i'm using an aluminum cable bracket that will bend if its nailed to hard. Has anyone installed a positive stop on the floorboard?
It was exciting to watch the movies as I've never seen my car driving before!

Movie1: Just a part throttle takeoff. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~taniemin/takeoff.mpg

Movie2: A 20-90mph flyby, shifting ~6000 in first and ~5500 in second. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~taniemin/flyby.mpg

Movie3: 2300rpm launch without any traction. 1st gear runs out real fast as you can hear the 6300rpm rev-limit. 2nd gear feels like the rear end is on ice and I got out of it sooner than I wanted. *shrug* I haven't done it enough to get a good feel for how to control it. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~taniemin/burn1.mpg

Movie4: Launch from different direction. This one sling-shotted me into the other lane so I got out of kinda quick. Spinning in 2nd gear at nearly 6000rpm is a little hairy. :yesnod: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~taniemin/burn2.mpg

Thanks for looking! I plan on training the camera girl a bit more so I plan to make some better ones before winter hits. Safety is a big concern of mine so don't think i'm being/going to be reckless. Just having a little fun on my country road. :reddevil

EDIT: BIG thanks go to Hemmo for hosting these! :cheers:

[Modified by VETDRMS, 5:28 PM 10/19/2003]
Old 10-19-2003, 07:55 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (VETDRMS)

That motor revs pretty fast, can't wait to get mine finished :D
Old 10-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (MotorHead)

Sweet vids, very impressive :thumbs:
Old 10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

wow..that is siiickkk...looks like your front wheels almost come off the ground in second movie. freakin awesome!
Old 10-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Kenzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (Redshark6974)

Excellent Vids! :cool: :cheers:
Old 10-19-2003, 08:56 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Dude, that is hot!!! Sick car- I like it!!! :cheers: :chevy
Old 10-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (79VetteMike)

In car video please.... :yesnod: That last video reminds me of my last time out to take photos. 1st gear - ditch. Next try, 1st gear - good, 2nd gear - ditch. Don't just love power.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Nice videos! Smoke'em if ya can! :cheers:
Old 10-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (bgrice)

Very cool vids and the motor sounds awesome...:thumbs:
Spins the tires with no effort at all it seems...
I need to finish mine :sad:
Old 10-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Very, very :cool:

Hope you know you are making all of us with our cars scattered all of the garage ver jealous. :yesnod:

Looks good, just keep it between to ditches. :cheers:

Dave

ps. Get the girl a tripod for the cam. :lol:
Old 10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Rooster
Advanced

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (Rolling Thunder)

nice vids - nice car - :cool:
Old 10-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (Rooster)

Very damn cool. :smash: :chevy :cool:
Old 10-20-2003, 07:56 AM
FinnShark
Burning Brakes

Nice vids! I hope that wasn't a Polica patrol car lurking behind the bushes in one of the vids... :D I still wonder who made the long stripes right where you were taking the footage... There seems to be two long black stripes on the pavement... :cheers:
Old 10-20-2003, 08:00 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Super :cool: videos!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:52 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (groovyjay)

Man watching those really is getting me happy about building my own stroker motor.....It is gonna be a lot of fun to play with...Looks like it is gonna take you a while to get used to that power :lol: be careful and yeah that really revs up quickly :D
Old 10-20-2003, 10:34 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you need to find a longer stretch of country road. I have a sweet spot I play on about a half mile long straight.Got enough road to hit 125 and still be able to slow to around 75 for the turn.Even that is dangerous.One day I hit the turn at 80 only to find myself staring into the back end of a haywagon going about 20 mph. Thank God for 4 wheel disc's and huge tires! :yesnod:
Old 10-20-2003, 10:44 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (Redshark6974)

wow..that is siiickkk...looks like your front wheels almost come off the ground in second movie. freakin awesome!
:iagree:

What HP and Torque numbers do you think you have and are you going to dyno it?

Get notified of new replies

To Videos of new 406 in action.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Now - get some sticky tires and go to the track to get some numbers :D :D
Old 10-20-2003, 01:11 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you running for a rear gear ?

Seems with that much torque you could tighten up the converter a bit. 4000 stall to 6300 rpm redline does not seem like a large duration of power.

Have you burned through a complete set of tires yet ?
:yesnod:

Old 10-21-2003, 01:57 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Videos of new 406 in action. (MotorHead)

MotorHead I was really suprised at how responsive the new setup is, once it hits 3500rpm...*wham* It flies right into its revlimiter. :D
I'm pretty happy with it so far, my Demon is leaking fuel and it needs to be tuned, but so far so good. I look forward to seeing the results from your 427 project! :yesnod: Keep us updated. :cheers:

Redshark6974 When it manages to hook the front end really lifts. I'm going to try to get some in-car video in the next week or two. Hopefully they will turn out.

79VetteMike Thanks! It was worth the 9months the project took, but sure was frustrating along the way. Especially since this is the third summer i've managed to put the car under and miss the best driving season. :mad
I'm going to try really hard not to start any new projects after Jan. 1 so it will actually be ready for spring. :lol:

Budman78 I will try and get some in-car vids soon. How is the LS1 treating you? That's quite the project! Looking :cool:

Rolling Thunder I know the feeling! I spent 9 months looking at everyone elses projects getting completed while my poor car wasted away in the garage awaiting its heart transplant. :lol:

FinnShark The car lurking in the bushes was some guy in a truck on his phone....I did notice he had a bunch of "bump and run" racing stickers in his windows so I figured he wouldn't mind. Not sure if you've heard of it, but bump and run is a contact racing sport on dirt, with birms, jumps and such. Its a blast to watch and surely fun to drive.

Those black stripes are coming from someone with slicks, they are all over that road. They are a little crazier than me as they almost went off the road in some places. I haven't quite got my cars handling, or lack thereof down yet! :lol:

Alwyn678 So what are the plans with the new motor??? I'm getting a hang of it thus far. I'm going to get some 10" slicks this spring for next season at the track. Those, and a line lock aught to help with traction quite a bit. Most likely just enough to explode my rear end....*shrug* We'll see!
:crazy:

The Money Pit I agree I need more space to play, but I'm also very cautious of the law as I "CAN NOT" get a ticket... THe road this is on is a blast, but there are a lot of blind corners, and tractors! :mad

74 vert I'm not sure on how much power its putting out, and I plan to dyno it at the latest in the spring. (winter is on its way and once the snow hits the car goes into hibernation).

GrandSportC3
Now - get some sticky tires and go to the track to get some numbers
That's the plan! Any speculation????

dman535 I have 3.55's in the rear. The torque converter was built to stall at 3300rpm assuming 500ft/lbs of torque. For some reason it is looser than planned but is still really easy to drive around town. Its not really an issue with limit power band as the motor may be at 4000-4500, but the tranny and tires are "catching up" so the motor will stay in its peak torque range while the car is accelerating to "catch up" with the converter. Its an odd sensation for sure. I like it! :yesnod: Under WOT the converter will actually flash over 4000rpm.
I am suprised at how well these tires are holding up! They still look pretty good. I was considering buying a set of junk used tires, putting them on some 15" rims I have and going out to make some insane parking lot burnout vids mutilating the cheap tires. :) :reddevil

The Rest of You
Thanks for the compliments!!!! :cheers:

Quick Reply: Videos of new 406 in action.