C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Control Arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 04:55 PM
bmizell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Control Arm removal

I am in the process of rebuilding my rear suspensionon a '74 /350/4 speed The bolt bolt that goes through the rear control arm bushing is frozen in place. I have used WD40 along with a hammer and punch but it won't budge. Also How does one install the new bolt? there isn't enough room to get behind the frame.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:43 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Control Arm removal (bmizell)

First you've got to get the old bolt out! Make sure that the trailing arm is raised so that it doesn't put pressure on the bolt. When I removed mine I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench at least twice a day for 3 days before I tried to remove it. From there it's hammer and punch action.

When you're ready to install a new bolt you'll notice that there is a smaller diameter end on the bolt. On mine I put a piece of vacuum hose through the hole from the outside and stuck it on the end of the bolt then put the bolt in place in the frame. Slowly pulling the hose and wiggling the bolt got it through. Others have drilled the small end of the bolt and used wire in the same mannor.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Rear Control Arm removal (bmizell)

You'll need something stronger than WD40 - try PB Blaster or Kroil. Some people have managed to remove the bolt by soaking it in penetrating oil each day for several days and giving it a periodic whack with a hammer. If you have a compressor, you might also try an impact hammer.

None of this worked for me. Like many, I had to break out the Sawz-All and cut through the shims and bolt. Not an easy job, but the good news is - once you've done this, every other repair or rebuild on your car will be a piece of cake.

There is room to insert the bolt through the frame - I used needle nose pliars.

Good luck with the project.

Mike
Old 10-19-2003, 05:56 PM
69vetteracer
Instructor

Default Re: Rear Control Arm removal (Mike Smith)

:iagree: You can usually pry the shims out and it sawz-all all the way. Great invention. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Control Arm removal

Quick Reply: Rear Control Arm removal