C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car just died!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 11:35 AM
tiger-town
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just died!!

Need some help!!

Driving my '74 and everything just quit - no electrical. I attempted to jump the battery to no avail. I ended up having to have the car towed home. Once home I pulled the battery and had it checked - and it is o.k.

Lights ,horn, gauges, windows, engine ignition, nothing works.

I ran a separate ground from the battery to the frame - no power

I have power at the solenoid. I turn on the ignition and have no power at the ignition post on the solenoid. No power at the starter post when the key is placed in the "start" position.

I have power at the alternator.

I have power at the 6-wire post on the left hand fender apron. However, something odd- if I run a test light from this post to the exhaust manifold the clock will start to work. I open the car door, the clock stops - weird.

I have no power at any of the fuses

Nothing new done to the electrical system. What am I missing?

Thanks

Tom

:confused:
Old 10-19-2003, 01:13 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Car just died!! (tiger-town)

o.k. i don't have a '74 so i don't know how similar yours and mine are but i ran into a very similar problem with mine a while back.
there is a six-pin connector coming off the starter that comes up by the blower motor housing and into the loom. you could just trace it out from the bottom if you have a hard time identifying it. anyway, it's very common for the main wire feeding the ignition to have an open. the connector will likely be all melted looking. check that first. i think someone sells the connector if you want to go that route but for the time being you can just use male/female spade connectors and tape them.
after that, i think you have to start checking the bulkhead connector and the ignition switch. if none of those are the problem, i'm out.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:46 PM
ray77vette
Advanced

what about the fusable link running off the positive side of the battery, that is what it sounds like, just my $.02
Old 10-19-2003, 05:21 PM
tiger-town
3rd Gear

Default Re: Car just died!! (clutchdust)

Bob-

Thanks for the reply. I started checking for the wires you mention at the starter and I gotta be doing something wrong, I found only two, a 12 gauge red and a 20 gauge yellow. These wires go up past the blower and disappear into the loom.

Tom
Old 10-19-2003, 10:08 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Sounds like you lost your engine ground tiger. On my ’74 there’s a large (#8) ground wire (black) connecting the block just above the starter solenoid to the frame. Also a small #16 black wire on the starter harness the connects to one of the starter bolts. I suspect other ground wires up on top of engine too but can’t recall where. Any of these wires may be missing (from Bubba fixes), broken (check continuity with resistance checks), or corroded and not making electrical contact (need to clean terminations & contact areas). Now if do have an opened fusible link then you need a good diagram and verify electrical continuity with resistance checks – something too much to try to describe here.
Good Luck. :)
Old 10-19-2003, 10:16 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Car just died!! (cardo0)

:iagree: Check your engine grounds, I had a 69 Buick lose an engine ground at hiway speed and everthing inside the car went dead.

Steve :steering:
Old 10-19-2003, 10:17 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Car just died!! (cardo0)

Shades of DEJA VU!

Start with the battery cables and check connections. Even if tight they could be corroded and not making good electical contact.

Go to the starter and check the two fusible links down there.

Check the ground strap near the starter that goes above the engine mount.

Go to the rear of the fuse block and check the fusible link there.

GET A WIRING SCHEMATIC - without it you are going to get lost.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:25 PM
tiger-town
3rd Gear

Guys-

Looks like it was a ground problem!! Thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

glad you found the problem! now that you're all fixed up and ready to roll i hope that doesn't mean your gone 'till the next problem. stick around a while and chime in every so often.

Get notified of new replies

To Car just died!!

Quick Reply: Car just died!!