C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charged battery...started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now

Tried to start the car today. Not enough battery so I charged it with my sears battery charger for about an hour. Car stared normally but smoke was visible in the gauge cluster. Source is behind the tachometer area of the gauge cluster. Smoke filled the entire area between the lens and gauges. Turned the ignition to the accessory position and no power. What the !$#@ happened? Lately I have had to charge my battery after sitting for more than a week. The battery is only a few years old and only has about 3,000 miles on it. The alternator is also new. I have been working on this car for nearly 5 years without any major electrical issues. I had not been working on the electrical system, so I don't think I could have caused this with my stupidity. The only thing I did different is charge the battery while in the car versus normally pulling the battery from the car. I can't imagine this could have caused this. Any suggestions? Obviously I need to pull the gauge cluster from where the smoke came. But no power at all??? Is there a fusible link behind the tach gauge? HELP!

[Modified by Frankenvette, 10:51 AM 10/19/2003]

[Modified by Frankenvette, 11:34 AM 10/19/2003]
Old 10-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now

Update...checked battery voltage and it is at 12.34. Pulled tach and can see blackened area on tach circuit board, however, board is functional. I check continuity of connections on circuit board. Still no other visible wiring damage. I had been working on the electric door lock switches last week and found one of the switches in contact with metal on the door. Not sure if this would cause total loss of power.

[Modified by Frankenvette, 11:35 AM 10/19/2003]
Old 10-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now (Frankenvette)

ttt
Old 10-19-2003, 09:13 PM
spiderjames
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now (Frankenvette)

I think there may be a fusable link coming from the starter to the switch or fuse box. might check that out.

Get notified of new replies

To charged battery...started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now

Quick Reply: charged battery...started up car... could see smoke behind the gauges...no start now