C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost over a gallon of antifreeze????

Old 10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lost over a gallon of antifreeze????

I took the car out for a short spin yesterday. I noticed in town that the temp was running a little above its normal operating temp. I thought it was a little odd because it was a 70 degree day. When I got it out on the highway it was running normal but it started to creep up a bit. When I got off the highway is setled back down a little bit. Then it started to climb. I headed home, it never got to the red zone but it got higher than it ever has since I've owned the car. I found the radiator about a gallon low on coolant :confused:

I didn't see any signs of leaks or anything. The oil level looked normal. I refilled the system and took it for a short ride and it seemed ok. I know a gallon of coolant just doesn't vanish into thin air. I got up this morning and changed the oil. When I fired up the car I saw a little bit of moisture/water coming out of the side pipes. I did see a hint of smoke, not really white smoke but kind of, if that makes sense. I smelt the water coming out of the pipes and it doesn't smell like coolant. I'm planning on taking it out today for a bit to see how it goes. I'm going to check the coolant level when I return.

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking maybe head gasket? If so how can I try to verify if this is or is not the problem.

Also how much would it cost to have someone change it?

And then if one was going to change it what else would you do to the car? It's already got an intake and headers on it. I'm not looking to have a race car, just something nice to drive.

It's a '80 L48 with about 65000 miles on it.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:54 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lost over a gallon of antifreeze???? (baja216)

I don't know the answer to your head gasket price question, but...

Water (condensation) out of the tailpipes is normal, especially while the car is warming up.

Smoke out the tailpipes, especially on startup, is probably related to a valve seal problem (not really a big deal).

Did the oil look OK when you changed it? White/foamy oil (especailly on the filler cap) is a sign of a bad head gasket, but it's only present if the gasket leak is letting coolant into the oil.

How are the hoses? Have you checked for pinhole leaks in them?

I would think that if you had coolant coming out of the "weep hole" in the water pump you'd notice.

How about the heater hoses going into the heater core pipes. That's a pretty low spot that you might not notice a leak especailly if it only leaks while running.

Have you left it running for a while on a dry surface, then shut if off and waited to check for leak spots below?

Good Luck, I hope it's nothing too serious.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:03 AM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lost over a gallon of antifreeze???? (jerryp58)

The oil looked good when I changed it. the oil level was not up from normal. I've got all good hoses on the car, I changed them about two months ago. The funny thing was I didn't see any signs of coolant leaking, not anywhere. I refilled the system, took the car for a drive, and pulled it into the garage. This morning I checked and no anti freeze leaks on the floor or anywhere. The smoke coming out of the side pipes did seem to be normal startup smoke. I'm going to pay close attention to the pipes when i drive it to see if there's any smoke. Correct me it I'm wrong but I should be able to see noticable white smoke coming out if it's the head gasked.

Thanks for the help.

What do the rest of you guys have to say?

:steering:
Old 10-19-2003, 12:15 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Well it had to go somewhere.

Are you POSITIVE that the overflow fill tank was filled properly before you noticed the temp problems? Maybe you just let the bottle empty out without noticing.

I would refill to the line and take it for another drive then check it again. Keep an eye on it, you may not have a problem with the engine. Maybe it just a user problem - happens to the best of us at one time or another....

Old 10-19-2003, 04:50 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I refilled the system"

Any chance it was air in the system that's worked itself out in the last couple of months?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:51 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lost over a gallon of antifreeze???? (KenSny)

I'm not sure if the over flow bottle was up to where it should have been or not. I checked the fluid this morning after I chagned the oil. When I restarted the engine there was no smoke coming out, I think the smoke when I initially started the motor was normal first start stuff. I took the car out for about an hour. I drove through town and on the highway. All temps were good. When i got home I let it cool down and checked the level, it was fine. I'm not sure what the problem could have been?? I believe the level in the over flow tank was alright when I got home yesterday when it was hot.

Either way it seemed to run alright today. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. I agree, a gallon of anti freeze doesn't vanish into thin air. The funny thing is I didn't see any signs of leaking.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the thoughts :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Lost over a gallon of antifreeze????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost over a gallon of antifreeze????