C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:13 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake rotors replacement

I'm thinking of replacing the rotors with some rotors from Vette Brakes that are slotted or drilled out. Is there any advantage with these rotors as far as weight savings over stock rotors? :seeya
Old 10-18-2003, 09:38 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Brake rotors replacement (73jst4fun)

weight savings will be neglegable. are they drilled or slotted or both? i worry about drilled because they have a tendency to crack if really heated up. if you drive hard, you may not want drilled. slotted on the other hand are supposed to eliminate that weekness. the purpose of either is primarily gas relief. hard braking causes the pads to heat up, giving off a gas. this gas can actually create a wedge between the pad and rotor. if you've ever pulled off a set of pads that have been driven hard, you may have noticed the pads have worn with a taper. this is really quite common (mine look like that right now). this gas wedge reduces the amount of force the rear of the caliper is capable of delivering to the rotor, reducing the total braking force. slotted are designed to relieve this gas but are less prone to cracking or heat checking than drilled.
just remember, if you replace your rears, you need to have them trued on the car.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors replacement